Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I'd like to thank you all, because of this site I have somewhere to voice my acute paranoia!

So a few months ago I saw this poor budgie at an old folks home with an extremely long beak. Like incredibly long. (I reported it to the humane society in my city) anyways after that I was a bit concerned about Smol's beak, but after some research it seemed normal length.

Welp, that concern has reared its ugly head again.

Here are some pics of his beak:

Sorry if the last ones a bit blurry, he gets excited when my phone is out and just wants to land on it haha

Some information on Smol's habits:

His cuttle bone isn't used much, if ever. I've had the same one for about a year and it has only gone down maybe a quarter in size.

He has a bird kabob in his cage, again only really chewed one block and lost interest.

He has a mineral block that he chews on more than the cuttle bone, maybe every couple of days.

He also has some chewing wood blocks I got from mysafebirdstore, which he only seems to touch when I present them to him (and is disappointed because it isn't food)

So anyways, what do you guys think? Is his beak too long? I would prefer only getting it done if necessary, it seems like a very terrifying ordeal for the little things.

Otherwise, are there any other ways or pointers for helping him actually use the things that keep his beak trim?

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Hi Deanna. Don’t worry, it’s quite normal for many people to be concerned if their beloved animals might have something wrong or not :).

Smol’s beak looks fine. I do see what you’re looking at, and while just a tad longer than some budgies, it’s still within a normal range. Especially since he isn’t a chewer.

Many times when beak overgrowth is from something systemic, you’ll see the constant overgrowth in nails too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much!! Phew I'm very glad about this :D

I'll make sure to keep an eye out if his nails start to overgrow quickly. I usually only have to clip them maybe about once a month or every two months, depending on how close the quick is to his nails.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.