Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've spent two solid days re-exploring all of the budgie color mutation information I have stored in my head and I STILL cannot come up with a solid explanation for the coloration of this bird.

This is my daughter's new budgie named Tiger. He was so striking when I saw him I had to pick him up to add to her collection of 6. He's definitely got some English budgie in him too but doesn't seem to be full, but maybe he is?

Alright - interested to hear what mutations you guys think this little guy is. I've got my ideas but am very excited to hear yours!!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:love: :love:OMG! He's gorgeous, I want him!!! :D
THANK YOU!!! Isn't he though!?? Interestingly enough, he didn't seem to me to be AS beautiful when I first saw him as he does now! He's growing like a weed on me for sure!! His personality is so docile too - all around wonderful bird to have.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And he does look part english, how old is he?
I don't know :( I saw him at a small family owned pet store and the owner said he'd been there for a long while. I'm guessing not years, but definitely sounds like he'd been a mainstay for awhile.

P.S. He seems to have lightening irises but only slightly - they're still very dark for the most part.

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
he looks lovely :) the tiger tails are common, most of birds have it, i do love finding the feathers when they moult them out :D!
he looks nothing like a show budgie to me
but a handsome chap!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he looks lovely :) the tiger tails are common, most of birds have it, i do love finding the feathers when they moult them out :D!
he looks nothing like a show budgie to me
but a handsome chap!
Thank you! No, I wouldn't ever be showing him and actually far prefer this look to the typical show budgie look myself.

I mostly included his tail feathers because they ARE so beautiful! Any ideas on mutation(s)?

·
Budgie Researcher
2,315 Posts
Hm, I'd have to agree with SpickyDavies, he doesn't look like a show/English budgie to me at all, but he sure is a looker :) I didn't realize that the "tiger tail" was unusual... my budgie has that as well!

As for a mutation, to me that looks like a Texas Clearbody...

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Hm, I'd have to agree with SpickyDavies, he doesn't look like a show/English budgie to me at all, but he sure is a looker :) I didn't realize that the "tiger tail" was unusual... my budgie has that as well!

As for a mutation, to me that looks like a Texas Clearbody...
nope , to my understanding clearbody texas only occurs in yellows and whites

umm , theres so many possiblties in my mind ,
maybe , a skybl........ errr .. NEV ! DEAN ! save my brain from a sever malfunction :XD:

·
Budgie Researcher
2,315 Posts

maybe , a skybl........ errr .. NEV ! DEAN ! save my brain from a sever malfunction :XD:
Oh, really? I didn't know. I was going by the fading of the color in his wing feathers... but he is very prominently blue, you're right!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, the Texas Clearbody is/was one of my serious considerations. The only thing that makes me wonder about it is the fact that there isn't a radical "line" between the darker wing markings and the lighter flights. He's clipped, but his flights aren't THAT light - they are light grey however.

Also, according to the description of the Texas Clearbody, they can have UP TO a 50% dilution in body color. Clearly, Tiger's chest is far more than 50% diluted, if you even want to call it color at all. It looks light grey to the naked eye, but in photographs you can see the bluish tinge.

Anyone else see the violet in him?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

In my slight research into the Texas Clearbody, I didn't see anything that said it occurred in only yellows or whites. In fact, here is a picture I snagged from the web of a bird that is being called a Texas Clearbody ****. He even appears to have the same blue/grey/violet coloration as Tiger.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have no idea, the markings just looked off to me, i suck at mutations.

·
Registered
458 Posts
He is gorgeous! Clearbody was the first thing I thought of too..Maybe an Easely Clearbody? They have the colour and grey on the wings, so more similar to your bird than a Texas Clearbody...but I'm certainly not at all sure about that!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He is gorgeous! Clearbody was the first thing I thought of too..Maybe an Easely Clearbody? They have the colour and grey on the wings, so more similar to your bird than a Texas Clearbody...but I'm certainly not at all sure about that!
I have never heard of the Easley clearbody but did a quick search and came up with the following quote from another board that showed up in the search results:

"The present Easley Clearbody (referred to sometimes as Laced Clearbody) generally has jet black wing markings, flight feathers, tail feathers and mask spots because of the excess black melanin. Their cheek patches are a shade of grey/silver regardless of their body colour. The body colour also tends to have less suffusion as found with the Texas mutation. However, Tom Easley did say that the cheek patches of the original stock were pale violet.
http://www.bestofbreeds.net/al-nasser/article8.htm"

·
Registered
802 Posts
In the Texas clearbody variety, the color of the budgie's body feathers is diffused or absent, and the wing markings are dark at the top and fade to a light grey toward the tips of the wings. The standard for the Texas clearbody budgie is to have no color in the body feathers, leaving only yellow or white (depending, of course, if the budgie is yellow-based or white-based). The Texas clearbody can however, have some color in the body feathers of up to a 50% dilution. In this case the body feather color is stronger toward the vent and rump feathers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.