Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've owned my budgie, Mochi, since January 3rd. When I first got him, it took him a little while to warm up to me, but since his breeder had begun to hand tame him already, it took about 3 weeks for him to warm up to me. He began spending more and more time out of his cage, and for the past week and a half he has been happily coming out of his cage on his own, flying to my shoulder, and boldly exploring my apartment. He's been incredibly good-natured to the point of clingy.

Today, however, is the opposite of that. Since I uncovered his cage this morning and went about my normal schedule (going to classes, coming home for lunch, home early for the night) Mochi has been very upset. He's been squawking at me angrily all day, sometimes screeching a bit, and when I put my hand near him he tries to bite me. When I offered him millet he gladly hopped onto my hand and ate it, but is still acting very differently than before.

I can't think of anything that changed drastically. I noticed yesterday he didn't want to come out of his cage as much as he normally does, but thought maybe he hadn't had enough sleep or something so I ignored it. I don't often actually TAKE him out of his cage, but his cage is on my desk near where I work, so I just leave the door of it open. He is almost constantly flying out of his cage to my shoulder and exploring around me.

Any ideas on what could have prompted this? Is this normal? He is going to be 3 months old next week, if age is a factor.

Edit: Here is a photo of the little scamp.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I agree with Cathy...if he isn't losing feather's yet, he will be anytime...:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't noticed him losing feathers. But that level of aggression is typical of moulting? It just surprised me since he's been so sweet.

I do notice he's been rubbing his head on his perch a lot more.

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Yes that could be a sign of pin feathers they get very itchy and quite grumpy, you can spray him with a water bottle, or if he will have a bath or shower offer that as well.

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
I thought the same thing, especially seeing his baby bars: first molt. Sammy got a bit grumpy with his first two molts.

Be sure to give him a bit of extra protein during molts (he might like a bit of a boiled egg) and extra millet. He might be sore with his new pin feathers, so a bit of patience will go a long way. He'll soon be back to his lovely self. :)

Good luck with your cute budgie! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should probably make a new thread for this, but just curious some other ways to get him protein, since you recommended it? He hasn't been wanting to try new foods. Do I need to hardboil the egg or is a little bit scrambled (no seasonings, obviously) okay?

Otherwise, what are some other options? Currently he has Roudybush pellets available to him, but he's still partly on seed since whenever I remove it completely he doesn't eat enough.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
I should probably make a new thread for this, but just curious some other ways to get him protein, since you recommended it? He hasn't been wanting to try new foods. Do I need to hardboil the egg or is a little bit scrambled (no seasonings, obviously) okay?

Otherwise, what are some other options? Currently he has Roudybush pellets available to him, but he's still partly on seed since whenever I remove it completely he doesn't eat enough.
Scrambled is fine... And you can feed him chicken and almonds ... mine seem to really like nuts. Just don't give him peanuts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To update, it's been four days since Mochi's mood changed for the worse, and I still haven't noticed any feathers in or around the cage at all. He's still quite bitey and won't come near me.

Hoping this is still normal?

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Can you post a picture of him up close ? We will then be able to tell better if he is in fact moulting. There are also some great recipes here in the forum for bird treats you can make yourself. have a look through them the birdy bread is a favourite usually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.