Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been about a year or two now that she has been doing this little trick, so I am not quite sure how long it took her to learn it.
Sometimes she will do it all on her own in an attempt to get treats when I am doing something else.

I didn't set out to make her learn this either. I had this toy in her cage for a couple years and she never really touched it and one day I decided to put it at the front of the cage by the door. where I gave them millet treats now and then. On a whim she touched the rings and I started from there every time she would touch the toy I would give her millet. With in roughly 2 weeks she was tossing rings on her own and I am guessing, by memory, that in another 2 weeks we had the full trick with getting the ring to the other side. She is my rescue bird so unsure of her past but, I know she's quite clever and the first to figure out toys and new additions to the cage. Tweety is more of a copy cat and learns from her.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are very welcome. At this moment my little ino boy is play with the millet drawers toy but every time I get my phone's camera near him he stops. I hope I can catch a video of him as well soon.

I never force tricks on them, just kinda let it happen or accept that it's a cute behavior in my opinion. Or even a stretch, that it's their attempt to communicate to me that they want more millet and not pellets or that they will do what it takes to get my attention. :D

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
I loved the video, your Belle is one very intelligent budgie girl! :D
I have the same ethics when it comes to tricks. Just like your Belle, my lovebird Khaleesi is also very toy oriented and I'm constantly finding new games and toys for him to play with. It's incredible to see his problem solving skills and figuring out how the toys work and it all comes naturally.
The only difference is that I don't give treats to my boy. To him spending time with me, including me in his playtime and actually playing with the toy/game is the big reward. :)

Reactions: Bearnoname

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
That little girl is one clever budgie, and for me the best part is she was a rescue budgie and has come full circle into a loving home and is giving herself freely and happily .
I work along the lines as Ana with my babies, They don't get treats for a reward my guys get lots of encouraging OOHH AHHS and Clever boys !!! They love it they excitedly fly to the toy box and tell us what they want to have placed out. learning their body language is a huge plus across all area's regarding these awesome birds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.