Talk Budgies Forums banner
161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,812 Posts
If you plan on having millet on that perch often you can drill a very small diameter hole through it and then stick the stem side of the millet through it and you won't have to use tape. I did that with a tree that I built for the birds and it works well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
If you plan on having millet on that perch often you can drill a very small diameter hole through it and then stick the stem side of the millet through it and you won't have to use tape. I did that with a tree that I built for the birds and it works well.
great idea! Thank you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Any idea what this behavior is? He’s fine otherwise, and his usual chatty self. He was only doing this after I kept repeating hello to him trying to teach him to talk. However, he makes no sound. I’m just wondering if he’s trying to mimic me and this is the early stages of him learning to talk

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Huh.
ordinarily I would say that’s crop clearing, but he only seems to do it as a response.

I think that maybe he’s just weird? :)
He’s probably wrapping his head around how to do the sounds.

·
Administrator
57,908 Posts
Yes, when a bird moves its beak like that after you say a word to it, that is the parrot starting to mimic. It will often do it silently for a few days until it believes it can make the sound correctly audibly.

IF he was doing it completely on his own when you were not interacting (by saying "hello" to him) -- then I would believe it was him clearing his crop. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Yes, when a bird moves its beak like that after you say a word to it, that is the parrot starting to mimic. It will often do it silently for a few days until it believes it can make the sound correctly audibly.

IF he was doing it completely on his own when you were not interacting (by saying "hello" to him) -- then I would believe it was him clearing his crop. ;)
So progress, then!

161 - 180 of 214 Posts