Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1: Bert loves millet, it's very obvious. He seems very food driven and curious (tried both romaine and cucumber; a no on the cucumber). He paced back and forth and made a lot of calling chirps (loud!) to the wild birds outside once we got him in the cage (that was an ordeal). Saw him eat the seed mix; not sure about water. Not very scared of hands, actually sat on my hand to eat millet. This seems suspiciously easy. Covered his cage around 7 pm; pacing stopped soon after. I think he needs the rest after the day he's had. Will try giving him fruit tomorrow. See if pacing continues if I keep the window closed to block out the outside birds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day 2: Bert tried an egg food breakfast; he picked out the lettuce pieces but he tasted the other stuff too so hopefully he'll learn to like it. Played some music for him and spent a few hr in the room with him. He is still pacing, trying to get out, and doing the flock calls so I've covered 2 sides of his cage so he can't see out the window and closed the room door to block out the chirps from outside. He did the normal chatter a few times and very noticeably when my husband with the deeper voice was in the room. I think this is because the breeder was a man so a deeper voice was more familiar. He will still eat millet from my hand and step onto my hand for millet but gets off soon after the millet is gone. I am getting 2 new perches for him tomorrow so I'll see how switching the dowl perches out will go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 3: Poor thing, I think Bert is molting. Lots of preening, scratches against the bars (what a contortionist!) and I found a few longer and colored feathers too. I also definitely scared him when I changed his dowl perches to natural wood ones. I think we'll take a break from each other for a few hours, give him some millet and then put him to bed. Poor thing, hope he feels better tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 4: A better day for Bert. He ate some lettuce. We watched Jimmy Kimmel on YT. He had a few outbursts of sudden squawks (?). Some normal chirping. Still doing the scratching but not many feathers coming out and I don't see any pins at all (light molt?). He may be older than what I was told but still no lightening of the iris (?). Not that it really matters at this pt. We did some clicker training. I'm just using a pen for the clicking, he got it pretty fast that if he touched the pen then I would click and the millet would magically appear. You can see him thinking, pretty cute. We will repeat tomorrow. Not going to move beyond this until he settles in more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 5: Added a swing, a toy and a mineral block to Bert's cage. He ate some of the block right away. Did target training a few times and then I just let him forage for millet between my fingers. He seems to like that and kept pausing occasionally to see if I'll do anything funny. I hope he starts playing and chattering more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 6: I'm a goner for Bert. He seemed so much calmer today after breakfast so l just left the cage door open (it drops down into a platform) and left a whole sprig of millet on it to see if he would come out. He did and then had a fly around, land on my blinds and the photo frames and repeat. He was starting to look tired so I got him to move onto a perch with millet and then slowly moved him back to the cage. Yay! What a brave boy! I can also see some new feathers sticking up at the very front of his head so I think he is molting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 7: Can't believe it's been a week! He was foraging on my desk today and playing with a pen. I think I will put some millet on a cookie sheet along with paper strips, balls, lettuce and whatever else I can find to make it a game tomorrow. He's looking more comfortable everyday :)
20210416_112049.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 8: A sleepy Bert today. He fell asleep on top of the blinds and then while he was foraging. He also seems to like broccoli. I don't think he is great at landing or picking a good landing spot. He hasn't landed on a flat surface yet and generally seems uncomfortable walking on a flat surface. He is probably still developing those flight muscles too. I have towels around the room so when he fell he landed on it. I think I will start limiting his seed to 2 tsp or so a day so he doesn't get too heavy for flight. Not going to try pellets just yet.
20210417_110506.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 9: He is playing and chirping lots today! Hooray! He didn't want to come out of the cage or fly around but that is okay. I tried to give him some egg food for the molting but he backed away pretty fast like it's poison (Silly bird). I'm going to continue to get him foraging in the morning so he gets comfortable being on the desk and do the simple target training while he is out of the cage. He doesn't hesitate to eat from my hand but I want him more comfortable before moving to step up on my finger. He steps onto a perch easily so it's not that urgent in terms of getting him back into the cage. I reduced his seeds to 1.5 tsp this evening so he will be hungry in the morning for foraging and maybe I'll try egg food again with some seeds on top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 10: Bert is on his swing! He looked so sweet napping on it. He also has a green beak from munching on lettuce. I was sneaky and wrapped a slice of carrot in between the lettuce so he ate both! I feel very accomplished. He is having so much fun playing with toys that he had no interest coming out of the cage. Here is the lettuce monster.
20210419_155914_capture.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 11: Bert did a step up today onto my finger! I had to tempt him with a whole sprig of millet and followed up with a jackpot so I hope he remembers tomorrow. He is willing to move along the perch to target but not confident enough to jump to another perch. I ordered a flight cage so looking forward to giving him more room to fly and more training room. He is pretty wrapped up in the toys right now so it's hard to get his attention.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 12: I did 2 mini target training sessions today and got a step up at the end of both. They only last 5 minutes if not less so Bert's left wanting more rather than less. I also like picking up the individual dropped millet seeds and feeding them to him pinched between my fingers at the end of a session so they don't go to waste. He also spent a good 30 minutes mumbling to himself. He sounded like someone turning the knob on a radio scrolling through the channels. I hope this means he wants to talk! I've just been repeating baby bird or pretty bird to him. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Day 13: Bert has discovered the shredding yucca toy I got him! Don't think the kabob will last long at the rate he is going. He is still stepping up with target and at one point ran up my hand and onto my wrist to get closer to the millet. I will continue to draw him closer to the cage door and see if he will come out a short distance tomorrow. Two full weeks tomorrow (y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 14: Bert ate some eggs! Maybe after watching me eat hardboiled eggs at lunch most days, he's decided that it might not be that bad...I hope I don't have to eat pellets to get him eating them 😅. We are progressing with step up and he spent about 5 minutes out of the cage on the table foraging for dropped millet. I rewarded him when he went back to the cage to start reinforcing that behavior. I think I need to find a toy he likes that he can only play with outside the cage to get him to want to spend time outside. Maybe a foraging ball?

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
I've tasted pellets :ROFLMAO: some are not too bad others taste like cardboard, who knows what they taste like to the birds.o_O
You are making great progress with Bert. I have these little shoes that I stick stuff in for my birds like the ones shown in this link. Sneaker Foot Toy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tasted pellets :ROFLMAO: some are not too bad others taste like cardboard, who knows what they taste like to the birds.o_O
You are making great progress with Bert. I have these little shoes that I stick stuff in for my birds like the ones shown in this link. Sneaker Foot Toy
Thanks for that suggestion! Those are really cute 😍

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day 15: Bert continues to progress in target training. He will come out of the cage onto the cage door that drops down to a platform and will hop from the platform onto my finger for the target. He came out of the cage for a quick look without me offering a treat so I think he is very curious but needs a bit of time to feel safer while out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day 16: Oi...Bert's having a bad day. Angry squawks, ignoring his toys and pacing on the perch. What a fluffy little angry tornado :love:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts