Talk Budgies Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Still Day 16: I figured it out! Bert's been mad because I changed how his toy hangs from his swing. Not sure how I figured this out (is there a telepathic bond developing?! ;)) He's back to being calm and sweetly nuzzling his toy. What a relief

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Day 17: My hubby turned off the heat yesterday during the day and forgot to turn it back on at night 馃槺 It dropped to 60 F by morning and Bert seemed pretty cold 馃ザ I warmed him up with a hot towel over his cage and he's been normal since. My poor baby bird, I hope he doesn't get sick. The hubby is feeling pretty guilty so I think Bert should take advantage and get lots of millet out of it. In terms of training, Bert climbed to the top of his cage today following the target (I wanted to get him used to the area so he can land there comfortably) and did a few flights to a perch from there. I was holding the perch in case he needed help down and he just flew to it. You can see he is getting less scared of the outside every day and wanting to explore more and more. Once he had enough, he promptly ran back inside and got a treat. Here he is with some egg on his beak (still molting, a few tail feathers coming in).
20210426_165308_capture.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Day 18: Bit of a meh day. Bert was grumpy and so was I. We continue to plug along with Bert flying to the perch from the top of the cage. He does seem to enjoy this a lot but I think we need to focus more on step up onto my finger. He is still hesitant with step up and generally will not step up on the first try. Beyond training, I have assembled Bert's PH F040 cage. Overall good quality and size for the $ but there were some sharp edges from smudged coating that I had to file down. I've also got an order of perches and supplies coming before I am ready to move him. This will give me time to think of perch, food and toy placement 馃

Administrator
If you had to file down some of the edges on the new PH F040, make sure they are not areas Bert is going to be able to reach.
If they are, you'll need to make sure you touch them up with a Bird Safe Paint.

Bird Safe Paint

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you had to file down some of the edges on the new PH F040, make sure they are not areas Bert is going to be able to reach.
If they are, you'll need to make sure you touch them up with a Bird Safe Paint.

Bird Safe Paint
Thanks for the info. I will double check but i think it was on the outside where the small doors are. Also good to know if I want to repaint in the future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Day 19: Not much new to report on the training front, focusing on step up mainly. I did however introduce Bert to my phone and specifically Instagram and Candy Crush! He was mesmerized and crawled around the cage following my phone to see more. I limited it to 10 minutes but hopefully this will be another way for us to interact.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Day 21: I had a hectic work day so no training but we did watch a few clips of Judy Garland and Fred Astair dancing and singing in the movie Easter Parade. One of my favorite and Bert sang along with me 馃グ I'll introduce him to Sound of Music next.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Day 22: I am hoping to move Bert to his new cage and downstairs by next weekend if the perches I ordered arrive next week. In preparation, I introduced him to the downstairs room today and he was completely unfazed and comfortable enough to have a nap (we also gave him lots of millet to create a positive association). I will do this tomorrow too and likely all week if I don't get too busy. On the training front, Bert did a step up onto my finger from the top of the cage but I had to tempt him with a whole sprig of millet. He seems to be flying better and views the top of his cage as the safe landing zone so I'm less worried about him flying into a wall or landing poorly somewhere and then falling. He loves my phone and will come out of the cage to peck at it and delete my emails. I think I will try to weigh him by putting the phone on my digital scale tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Day 23: Surprisingly, Bert took a bath in his water bowl. He looked so cute all wet! I thought he didn't like baths because he hates misting and ignored the baths I put in his cage. It was warmer today so maybe that helped.
20210502_111028.jpg
He was also feeling adventurous and came out of his cage 3 times today. We only trained once, the other 2 times he just wanted to check out the window blinds and fly around.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts