Talk Budgies Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Day 25: Bert is becoming an out of cage bird. He gets an energy burst after he eats in the morning and flying around is better than pacing in his small cage. I can't wait to get him in the flight cage so he has more room and a bigger play area on top but it doesn't look like my bird supply order is going to arrive in time. He also tried to land on my head today but diverted at the last second. I can't wait to get some bird poop in my hair 😜

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Day 26: To start, the end of Day 25 was not smooth. I let Bert out for a fly around dusk and he got very agitated and frantic once the wild birds outside started to swoop around and squawk as they normally do before bed. I felt like a jailer and Bert refused millet and would not go back to his cage. I eventually got him back in with the wooden dowl perch and covered him up for bed (phew! Did not need the stress before bed). So today, we slowed it down. He only got to come out once for 15 minutes and foraged around for seed. I think the lesson here is to move slowly even if he seems fine. He also bit me pretty hard yesterday when he was looking at my phone. I'm not so sure the phone obsession is something to be encouraged so will need to be careful going forward. Lastly, got some zupreem fruity xs pellets while they were on sale. Need to think about how I am going to introduce them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Day 27: Pretty normal day. A quick training session and some out of cage time for Bert. I had him right up to my face on a perch and he wasn't freaked out and gave my lip a nibble. He also ate some spinach for the first time 😋

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Day 28: Bert and I played with some small buttons together by flicking them about on the desk or just dropping them to see them wobble. He even grabbed my finger a few times with his foot. What a cutie 💓 I am still training once a day and he is getting better with step up, staying and moving up my arm. I may also have heard him say baby bird but not 100% sure. I'm going to listen extra carefully this weekend (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,179 Posts
That's so cute, will he drop them off of whatever he is sitting on? I used to have a bird that would endlessly throw a bell off the table and watch me pick it up and return to him to throw again, and again and again.o_O

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That's so cute, will he drop them off of whatever he is sitting on? I used to have a bird that would endlessly throw a bell off the table and watch me pick it up and return to him to throw again, and again and again.o_O
Not yet and I hope he doesn't start. So far the space below the desk is scary and he stays away from edge. He likes chasing the buttons around the desk and just dropping them for the sound.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Day 30: Hooray! Bert's been home for 30 days 😁 He is settling in very well and I think bonding with me. He started to play with my fingers today by hopping on and nibbling while I tapped them to bob him up and down. He also ducked under my tented hand to retrieve the buttons we were playing with so I hope to train him to be held for vet visits to lessen the stress (and to also crawl through a tunnel of course!). If this wasn't enough, I had a few pellets in a bowl I sometimes feed Bert from and he just hopped onto the bowl and ate some pellets right away. I was so surprised 😮 I did try a few pellets before I served Bert and they tasted okay. They smelled very fruity so that might have helped.

I am going to continue posting on our progress but not daily. Hopefully I can post a pic of Bert in his palace soon ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Day 33: The pellet eating continues! I think Bert really likes them. He has also started to step up onto my finger or hand without a treat over the last few days and we have been having chat/talk sessions with him close to my nose. He nibbles my nose and tries to climb onto my glasses if he is not listening intently as I sing "row row row your boat" to him. He is definitely talking but it's not super clear yet. We'll keep practicing👍I also caught a cute pic of him popping up from his seed bowl to look at me. I was watching the Tina Turner documentary on HBO. Gotta play him some of her 🎶
20210511_173340_capture(0).jpg

41 - 53 of 53 Posts