Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very confused about the dietary needs of budgies. Some say seeds are bad because they are fatty, others say they should be a staple. It's the same argument with pellets. Then some say that seeds are good only if sprouted. A little help here?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. Now I have another question: do I need to feed breakfast, lunch and dinner or can I feed a bigger breakfast and dinner?

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
Budgies only need 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of a good quality seed mix per day. If your budgies are not used to pellets and vegetables yet, it will take awhile for them to start eating those in addition to their seed.

I give my budgies two rations of seed per day.
When I clean the cage in the morning and put in fresh clean newspaper, I scatter about 1 tsp of seed per budgie on the paper to encourage them to "forage".

I keep pellets in the cage 24/7. Vegetables are served in a separate dish.

In the evening, I change their newspapers again and they get their second ration of 1 tsp of seed per budgie - again scattered on the clean paper.

·
Super Moderator
17,952 Posts
Kim,

Foraging encourages budgies to get up and "work" for their food, stimulating their minds and giving them a bit of excercise meanwhile ;) It discourages boredom, as well :thumbsup:

This is similar to behaviours they might exhibit in the wild :D

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
The best diet is always going to be a varied diet. So, the more things you can encourage them to eat, the better!

In my opinion, seeds are best when sprouted. (with that being said, i'm totally biased because I'm OBSESSED with sprouts, not only for my birds, but for me too!)

Pellets are a staple in my cages as well. I feed Roudybush pellets every day.

Veggies are great!

Egg food is great too, and you can add in anything you want, like more veggies!

Birdie Bread is fun to make and can be easily customized to your bird's taste.

Nutriberries are a great little snack/treat as well.

Millet, we can't forget the millet! I usually reserve this as a special treat, and only give it when the birds are out of their cages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been looking online and see that Dr Harvey's is a lot more expensive than Volkmans. I know you wouldn't recommend Volkmans if you didn't feel it was a good quality mix, but is Dr Harvey's worth the extra expense? Would my budgie benefit just as well from Volkmans?
Also...i like the foraging idea. It's just so different from what I'm accustomed to doing. For 35 years I've done the same thing...filled a seed cup up all the way. Stirred it around with my finger after two days...after another couple of days stirred it some more adding a little more seed. After another couple days I pour pretty much completely out and refill with all fresh. I never realized that they only need a teaspoon or so a day. Is there a downside to what I'm doing? I would like to try scattering a little on the bottom of the cage but then I think "oh my gosh I will be starving my poor baby!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, this is the only place I see to ask this...can I start a new thread?? Where would I do it if I can?? I've looked and looked. What I do see is a tab that says something about not having access to start a new thread.

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
Instead of stirring around the seed dish, you can easily remove the empty husks by blowing them out.

Take the seed dish out, and give it a few small shakes. The empty husks will rise to the top of the dish since they are lighter than the seeds. Gently blow the husks out of the seed dish. (Best to do this outside or over a garbage can) Shake the dish again and blow out any more empty husks that rise to the top.

·
Super Moderator
3,029 Posts
I've been looking online and see that Dr Harvey's is a lot more expensive than Volkmans. I know you wouldn't recommend Volkmans if you didn't feel it was a good quality mix, but is Dr Harvey's worth the extra expense? Would my budgie benefit just as well from Volkmans?
Also...i like the foraging idea. It's just so different from what I'm accustomed to doing. For 35 years I've done the same thing...filled a seed cup up all the way. Stirred it around with my finger after two days...after another couple of days stirred it some more adding a little more seed. After another couple days I pour pretty much completely out and refill with all fresh. I never realized that they only need a teaspoon or so a day. Is there a downside to what I'm doing? I would like to try scattering a little on the bottom of the cage but then I think "oh my gosh I will be starving my poor baby!" :rolleyes:
Here is a link to something that my vet wrote regarding nutrition in pet birds that you might find useful:
http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Nutrition-in-Pet-Birds.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you fill your birds dish full of seed they are going to pick out what they like best and leave the rest so are not getting all the nutrition that is in the seed mix you are offering. By giving them just what they need they begin to eat everything in the mix after their favorite is all gone and they are still hungry.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
Also, this is the only place I see to ask this...can I start a new thread?? Where would I do it if I can?? I've looked and looked. What I do see is a tab that says something about not having access to start a new thread.
Kim --
Here's a link on How to create threads.
http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/4926-how-create-thread.html
If you have questions about how the site works, please ask them in the "Contact The Staff" section of the forum. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I forgot to add that I also sprinkle seed at the bottom of the cage in the morning after cleaning. I do not have a seed dish in the cage. I offer fresh pellets at all times. My birds are good fresh food eaters and I offer only 2 tablespoons spread between 10 budgies in the morning since they have their fresh food. When I get home from work I remove the fresh food and let them out for the evening. I put the rest of the food on their play places spread out. I give 4 tablespoons spread out all over in small dishes so it ends up being a little less than 2 teaspoons per bird. I found if I offer more when I remove the seed dishes at night it is picked through and the stuff they don't like is left to be thrown out.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
If you look at my earlier post in your thread, you will see that I leave pellets in the cage 24/7 and give my birds rations of seed twice a day.

I believe your questions have been adequately answered.
Please take the time to read the information in the Budgie Articles as well as the stickies at the top of each section of the forum.

You will learn a good deal about budgies and how to best care for them by doing so.

Best wishes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you look at my earlier post in your thread, you will see that I leave pellets in the cage 24/7 and give my birds rations of seed twice a day.

I believe your questions have been adequately answered.

Please take the time to read the information in the Budgie Articles as well as the stickies at the top of each section of the forum.

You will learn a good deal about budgies and how to best care for them by doing so.

Best wishes
I'm still getting through all the stickies and articles, but have read just about all of them! So feeding my budgie twice a day would be sufficient assuming pellets are offered 24/7?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So much controversy about the best diet!

A first glance at the "best" diet for a budgie is made up of pellets, seed, and fresh fruits and veg. However, as I am reading more about a balanced and healthy diet, the above variety isn't so simple.

Obviously, seeds and fresh fruits and veg should make up a good amount of a budgies diet. However, my confusion comes from the topic of pellets. Most pellets seem to be made up of various grains like corn, wheat, etc. Many also unfortunately include many fats, sugars, and preservatives. Would it not be healthier to provide fresh grains? Why not cook real, organic grains like rice, and grow millet, wheat grass, and canary grass? In my opinion, this would be the healthiest and most nutritional diet to feed my budgie, so why is it that this is not recommended?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.