Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,413 Posts
Yep-- stop trying :D It's actually still really soon, 10 weeks is not long at all. My girl was similarly traumatized at a pet store and she wasn't even coming up to me until nearly 10 months; now she's extremely tame, happy, and well adjusted and will be 10 this year. It's no use pushing him to try and do stuff if he's not ready, because it'll just impede trust from forming. On the other hand, if a trusting bond naturally forms, which it seems like it will, then he will explore and want to come onto your shoulder, arm, hand, etc. naturally.

The other thing is you shouldn't show him budgie videos or noises since it obviously stresses him out. Playing music other background noises is best. Budgies are flock animals and so will naturally want to be part of a flock; if you continue to hang out with him and include him in you conversations, etc, even if he is not coming onto your hand yet he will begin to feel that you're part of his flock. The most important thing is to trust him and respect his boundaries and just let a bond happen naturally :)

Best of luck with little Beta!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. I'm sure you are right because when I try too hard its like taking a step backwards in the bonding process. How many weeks did you have your girl before she bonded with you?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,413 Posts
Thanks. I'm sure you are right because when I try too hard its like taking a step backwards in the bonding process. How many weeks did you have your girl before she bonded with you?

Thanks.
10 months or more— so I guess that’s 40 weeks! But that was only when she took the first step to want to be near me, so it was the beginning of our bond expanding. Every budgie is different, however! As you said just take it at Beta’s pace and let him decide when to progress.

·
Administrator
59,151 Posts
He may never get on your shoulder and that has to be OK with you.
My budgies will sit on my head, my knee and sometimes my arm. They never perch on my shoulder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks. Wierd that he does so many things like my Sun Conure did and he practically lived on my shoulders. When I tried to get him off my shoulder he would walk down to the middle of my back where my arms and hands couldn't reach him, Then I'd have to slowly lay down on my back on the floor until he got the message "get off or get crushed". LOL!

It was such a great bond that in the evening if I was laying down on the couch he would squeeze in between me and the couch and lay there on his back with me.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts