Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
The stickies and forum provide a lot of information to help one find the right cage, which is where I plan to be in a couple days after the bird's health checkup. So this is likely getting ahead of myself, but for planning, I'm researching some things to get once both the bird and I are comfortable with him being outside the cage.

I see some people have playgrounds, and there are a whole variety of them. I've also seen various wood perches on stands. Do I just get what seems nice to me, or, are there certain features I should look for such as size, must haves, etc? Without many tables in the house, should I also get some stools, carts, or stands to keep the things higher?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Natural wood perches (made of safe wood) with complex branches and angles are always fun.
You can attach these to the outside of the cage as well, which makes his space more inviting for him to stay near.
There are plenty of good table top options out there, as well as hanging options if you’re keen to give that a go.

I just built a whole play set out of 1/2 pvc and vet wrap that I was able to hang some toys from too.

To get some good ideas, head over to Etsy.com and search for bird toys and perches. Some people have gotten exceptionally creative (suction cup mounted play sets for windows, cheap and easy foraging boxes and treat containers, etc.)

Budgies typically have a great time foraging for food (especially yours and that video!) as well as playing with bells and shredding toys to pieces. Anything that plays along those lines will likely be a hit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All right, sounds like a mix of buy what appeals to me and possibly DIY, thanks for that, I like to make things from scratch and have PVC, so that works out well :)

I read his food-bowl digging more of a temper tantrum than anything else o_O

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
I read his food-bowl digging more of a temper tantrum than anything else o_O
I disagree. As I said, my budgies love to "dig" and fling things. I believe it is simply something birds like to do which is why mine have a bead box to play in.
Even so, they still like to fling Roudybush pellets out of the cage which I find really funny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@FaeryBee I'm sure you are right. Today I've refilled his food bowl three times today, so much wasted food. After he finishes scratching it all out, he bites and shakes the food door trying to open it, then squaks a few times, jumps around the cage, hides under the water bowl for an hour or two.. maybe he's trying to burrow and catch some zzz? Or doesn't like the food? I've been feeding him what I originally picked up at the store last week, zupreem sensible seed, and plan to try to move him to pellets when I return from my trip. So strange.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
@FaeryBee I'm sure you are right. Today I've refilled his food bowl three times today, so much wasted food. After he finishes scratching it all out, he bites and shakes the food door trying to open it, then squaks a few times, jumps around the cage, hides under the water bowl for an hour or two.. maybe he's trying to burrow and catch some zzz? Or doesn't like the food? I've been feeding him what I originally picked up at the store last week, zupreem sensible seed, and plan to try to move him to pellets when I return from my trip. So strange.
This is known as your bird having "personality" ;)

It must be a total mess, but that sounds super-cute if I'm honest. He could really just be playing and having a great time.
What kind of toys do you have in there for him currently? There are some super cheap foraging things you can put together yourself that may keep him occupied, especially if he's already shown a penchant for digging.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Chiribiri sounds like a real little character and lots of FUN!
He's still a baby from what I can see in the video in your other thread -- bars all the way down to his cere, correct?

As such, he likes to burrow under the water bowl because it's tight and "safe" like being in the nest box.

Baby budgies especially like throwing their food, digging in their food and sometimes sleeping or sitting in the food bowl.

Don't fill the bowl all the way up. Just give him about 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed at a time.

Have you started offering him any vegetables yet? He'd probably love tearing up broccoli florets!

I'm sure I must have given these links to you at some point but here they are again.
A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

The Truth about GRIT

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these for my budgie since he loves to spend time gazing out the window:

Etsy seems to have some neat bird stuff!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these for my budgie since he loves to spend time gazing out the window:

Etsy seems to have some neat bird stuff!
Ordered one almost identical to this myself ;)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the sea-grass mats with larger netting holes safe for budgies if hung up like a hammock or ninjbird warrior climbing fun? Concern here is about the hole spacing being potentially problematic, not the material itself.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Could you please post a picture of the one to which you are referring?

I use these for my budgies with no issues.
12x17 seagrass foraging mats

I make them into a platform and the budgies love climbing onto it, sitting or laying and chewing on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts