Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on to new bird #2. This bird I have named temporarily, "AmIViolet?" :D

I'd love to know your opinions on base color here. Visually, without a flash photograph, this bird is very dark in color, not at all flashy purple. I was almost positive it was a slate (can you tell I'd love to magically turn one of my birds into a slate mutation!?), or maybe a mauve, but under the flash of my camera, suddenly he becomes very purple-y. :)

I'm on the right in this picture!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mauve :) Not much of anything else to see/say.

Thanks, Guthwulf - I appreciate your opinion! You had commented on one of my other dark-in-color budgies saying she was also mauve. You mentioned the blotchy-ness of her body color was common in mauve birds, but this bird doesn't have any blotchy-ness at all. In fact, when comparing the two, the newer bird looks very sleek and uniform in color. I know however this isn't the only trait a mauve bird could have.

I'd send a couple of comparison photos - I have to say some of them surprised me with how alike they looked in ways and others I was shocked at how different they look. I'm totally happy with him being mauve, but would love to feel 100% sure of his color.

Other opinions welcome too - even if you don't think you're qualified.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Remember the bird on the left is an opaline which also affects the depth of colour (making it a more pastel shade, slightly 'dulling' all colour including cheek patches sometimes and 'destroys' normal tail markings) and second you have made a perfect point with the different photos. You can see how much variation the same birds have in different lighting conditions! It can be very hard calling a mutation or mutations from photos.

Very good pictures demonstrating the differences that can be seen between a normal mauve and an opaline mauve. Very clearly shows the effect that opaline has on colour and appearance.

Interestingly this effect of the opaline is partly the reason I am moving away from it with my violets, I only want normal violets as I find opaline turns the colour to a pastel shade and really takes away that vibrancy. Dont get me wrong, the pastel shades are lovely. But a fully coloured bright violet feathering is a wonder to behold in itself...

Also I have heard tell the opalines bred when the mutation first appeared in captivity where said to be VERY bright and vibrant in colour and yet now it produces a dulling/pastel effect. Interesting?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember the bird on the left is an opaline which also affects the depth of colour (making it a more pastel shade, slightly 'dulling' all colour including cheek patches sometimes and 'destroys' normal tail markings) and second you have made a perfect point with the different photos. You can see how much variation the same birds have in different lighting conditions! It can be very hard calling a mutation or mutations from photos.

Very good pictures demonstrating the differences that can be seen between a normal mauve and an opaline mauve. Very clearly shows the effect that opaline has on colour and appearance.

Interestingly this effect of the opaline is partly the reason I am moving away from it with my violets, I only want normal violets as I find opaline turns the colour to a pastel shade and really takes away that vibrancy. Dont get me wrong, the pastel shades are lovely. But a fully coloured bright violet feathering is a wonder to behold in itself...

Also I have heard tell the opalines bred when the mutation first appeared in captivity where said to be VERY bright and vibrant in colour and yet now it produces a dulling/pastel effect. Interesting?

This is all very interesting information to me!! Thank you for sharing it. In the interest of further learning, I grabbed a few natural light photos of this same bird while I was photographing others this morning, so I'll include them. Thanks again for the enlightening info.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
good post dean, i so wish i had a few budgies to go out and look at when trying to work these colours out! i have been thinking about your comments regarding opalines colour and tials and trying to remember my opalines.... but the memory really gets fried when you have kids!!!

i trust your opinion though so will hunt out some images of opalines for a bit of study.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.