Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Charlie recently started into his 'teenage-moody' phase, and has begun biting, something he never did before. he does not protest to stepping up or coming out of his cage, but will go after my fingers in they are too close to him when he is out, like when he is sitting on my laptop and i go to type something. How long does this phase usually last, and is there anything i can do to prevent this behavior?

·
Administrator
56,506 Posts
When he goes after your fingers when you type, try to distract him with a toy.

Two of my budgies did the same thing for a couple of months when they hit the teenage phase.
Now they just sit on the monitor and watch rather than trying to bite. ;)

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-bud...-biting-learned-often-avoidable-behavior.html

You might also want to consider starting clicker training with Charlie at this point in time.

http://talkbudgies.com/articles-budgie-training-bonding/315065-basics-clicker-training.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Think I may have to do something?! Bubs is biting and it isn't gentle but not skin piercing either. CharlieBurb I hope you can sort the biting?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The linked article for how to deal with biting is very helpful!

In the situation that you describe where he goes after your finger when it gets 'too close' to him while he is out, you may want to try working with a perch. Most likely you reacted when he bit you (how could you not? It hurts!) so now he knows he gets a reaction when he bites/attempts to bite you. When you need to move your hand near him, I would have the perch in your hand and have him step up onto it. If he decides to bite the perch there will be no reaction, making biting 'boring' and not conductive to what he wanted to have happen.

Another method already suggested is if you need to move your hand towards him, try re-directing his attention with a toy. If he then re-focuses on your finger to bite when you go to type, maybe the perch method may work better for awhile.

Good luck getting this figured out! We recently went through biting issues with our conure and rectified it similarly to the perch suggestion. He is lovely now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.