Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was looking up a few months ago about budgies, and I remember thinking this budgie was amazing well I was looking at it again tonight, and as a lot of people already know there is a rare mutation called the black-faced budgie, so I was wondering are there any for sale, or are there just a few still

http://www.***************/v_blackface2.jpg

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I've known about the Black Faced mutation for a while, but have never seen a live one.

I would consider them to be pretty rare to find around here where I live :) Very gorgeous too!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ohhh my bad I was looking at a site but its was probably an older site lol, I thought they'd been around for awhile, I really wish I could buy one I'd probably a couple hundred if I could get one but i dont think thats going to happen:D

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Wow that's an interesting mutation. Love to have one of those :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
i remember some guy posting a pic of this rare budgie, and he was like " i wanna know why my budgie still has stripes all over his head, hes like at least 1 year old now!" and then someone replied back that he has a rare budgie--the same one we are talking about a black faced...he never even knew! and turns out he is from the U.S. so he somehow got one without even looking for one!~~
i believe he is a member of talkbudgies too! :budgie:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really!!!!!!!!I want that budgie, I wonder if he would breed it?But I'm pretty sure its really hard to bring the gene out, so it wouldn't really work most likely, ohhh I'm so jealous:p

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
i remember some guy posting a pic of this rare budgie, and he was like " i wanna know why my budgie still has stripes all over his head, hes like at least 1 year old now!" and then someone replied back that he has a rare budgie--the same one we are talking about a black faced...he never even knew! and turns out he is from the U.S. so he somehow got one without even looking for one!~~
I remember that to and Ya know i don't think he ever posted again after that :S

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,824 Posts
They are very rare and have popped up in many countries. I know of one in Australia. The guy that bred it owned a bird shop and kept some of his personal breeding budgies in the back room in breeding cabinets, was convenient as he was at the shop 6 days a week.

Unfortunately we had a spate of bird shop robberies around that time and his shop was broken into and robbed. Among the stolen birds was the Black Face Budgie. None of the birds were ever recovered. He was one of about 4 shops that were broken into in a few months. These same thieves are still at work but are now targeting private breeders. It has just started again this breeding season.

Most people that do manage to breed a black face budgie do not put them up for sale. They hang onto them for breeding purposes and try to reproduce it again and try to stabilize the variety. If anyone has done this they are keeping very quiet about it and not advertising the fact. They usually have to put a black face daughter back to the father or a black face son back to the mother. This is about the only way to try to establish the variety.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
I remember that! That budgie was beautiful! i got so excited when i seen that bird!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna go find that thread, find that guy, and force him to give me his budgie!:whois::evil:hahaha

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wasn't there a problem with them? Something that caused them to stop breeding them years ago when they were doing it? Seems to me I read that somewhere?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
When blue budgies first appeared (I think it was in the 1920s), people were really wild about them. Since then there have been all kinds of color mutations produced, and they're still coming.

I see more colorful budgies than mine in the pet stores but it doesn't bother me. I'm not the kind of person who wants the most exotic or the most beautiful or rare animal. I just want a plain animal, and then I treat it as if it were rare and beautiful. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.