Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really cool one of our club members bred a black face budgie out of a double factor anthracite. He has another clutch and thinks there are 3 more in that one.

I’m really happy the Arizona BAA guys came up with the idea to push for a new show section for “endangered” mutations. These are mutations that very few people are breeding due to popularity or just that not many were imported to the U.S. before avian flu closed the boarders to importation. The anthracite was the last imported mutation that one breeder brought in from Germany a few years ago. Since then other Arizona budgie men have been helping to produce/increase this mutation in the U.S. AND now a guy in Texas has been able to produce black face budgies! :jumping:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly I didn't get to go to that show, was home sick that day :( I don't have any photos.
I will have to see if Calvin can take some for me though.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Are you referring to the actual blackface mutation with variegated striping over the whole body? Or simply a 'black faced' budgie bred selectively from anthracites to produce a blacker bird?

I dont see how you could selectively breed one mutation to become another?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I dont see how you could selectively breed one mutation to become another?
Actually by selective breeding, new mutations becomes available, just like how you have to combine the inos with cinammons.

I dont have alot of info in mutations, but this how it is actually work

·
Registered
63 Posts
wow :D thats really cool

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Actually by selective breeding, new mutations becomes available, just like how you have to combine the inos with cinammons.

I dont have alot of info in mutations, but this how it is actually work
Not new mutations, those are combinations. Combining cinnamons with ino produces lacewings when there is a genetic crossover of the two mutations as they are closely linked. You are still dealing with two different mutations and the lacewing in itself isnt a new mutation, just a new variety - much like a rainbow budgie or a spangle opaline.

Black face is a mutation that redistributes melanin and allows striping to spread throughout the body whereas anthracite is a colour adding gene - totally seperate mutations and not at all likely to be close as far as their location on the genetic chromosomes/alleles so I don't think you could breed a true blackface by selectively breeding anthracites. If anything it would have to be a second unique occurance of the same blackface mutation in a different country. Much how yellowfaces occured around the same time in different countries etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not new mutations, those are combinations. Combining cinnamons with ino produces lacewings when there is a genetic crossover of the two mutations as they are closely linked. You are still dealing with two different mutations and the lacewing in itself isnt a new mutation, just a new variety - much like a rainbow budgie or a spangle opaline.

Black face is a mutation that redistributes melanin and allows striping to spread throughout the body whereas anthracite is a colour adding gene - totally seperate mutations and not at all likely to be close as far as their location on the genetic chromosomes/alleles so I don't think you could breed a true blackface by selectively breeding anthracites. If anything it would have to be a second unique occurance of the same blackface mutation in a different country. Much how yellowfaces occured around the same time in different countries etc.
ahaaaa

thanks for clarifying:D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
sounds exciting! it would be good to see photos. also to find out if it is the actual blackface variety reappearing or if it is something new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.