Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a female today. I got her cause she grey green and I want to breed for grey from my sky blue boy. She is also Opaline. I don't have a pic yet and she wasn't in great condition when I got her and want to wait tell I can do her justice. She was very active though, but pet stores birds are pretty darned thin. Maybe they think they are saving money by skimping on food.

Anyway, she has a grey cast to her green breast and a black tail, but she has very dark dark blue or violet cheeks. However, the grey runs through the yellow on her neck and head giving the yellow a greying hint as well.

I read on one of these forums that black tale meant grey green even w/ the blue cheek piece is that right? Is it that simple? I can't find any pictures of grey-greens w/ that cheek piece and I can't find it in any other place but the forum and I want to make sure.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
From your description she sounds like a grey green, usually a black tail is a sure sign of the grey mutation. If her cheek patches are not the right shade for a grey she could be both grey and violet. Probably the only way to be absolutely sure is to breed her to see what the chicks are like

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From your description she sounds like a grey green, usually a black tail is a sure sign of the grey mutation. If her cheek patches are not the right shade for a grey she could be both grey and violet. Probably the only way to be absolutely sure is to breed her to see what the chicks are like
Wow, how does that work?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Wow, how does that work?
If the hen is split for blue and she is mated to your sky blue boy you'd get green, grey green, blue & grey

If the hen is also violet you'd violet & violet grey as well

If the hen is not split for blue you will only get green & grey green

·
Registered
210 Posts
My mom has a quaker and a cherry face conure,and they have grey front chests..I read that is because of lack of sunlight.She keeps them covered if they get too loud for her.I think its stupid because that's what birds do...but anyways..just thought i'd throw that bit of info in there..I think pics would really help more,cold be a grey green.
This is Sammi.

She is a green with double factor grey or slate.
Is she similar to your bird? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
This is Oliver (Green budgie) He is a violet greygreen opaline. He's had violet, greys and greygreen chicks. Does your budgie look anything like him?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is Oliver (Green budgie) He is a violet greygreen opaline. He's had violet, greys and greygreen chicks. Does your budgie look anything like him?

OMG it looks just like that. Just like it identicle., but how can you have violet and grey? I mean it is awesome, but I never heard of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it is so funny, cause I asked petsmart if they ever had greys in and they said no. I looked for about half an hour studying every bird and I saw a couple that look green grey, but I wasn't sure. I saw lots of violet blues. Lots of opolines. Then I saw her and I needed a her and she was grown and flying around. She will be paired w/ my sky blue boy. I am sure she has pie genes as others had pie in them too. I was so glad she wasn't in w/ the rares as grey green w/ violet sounds pretty rare to me, but it means she cost less, lol. Thus it sounds like my quest for getting a grey budgie was a success and I also am glad to have violet in her as well, best of both worlds! When she looks more beefed up I will get pics on here.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If she is split for blue then you'll get greys. The violet and grey factors are color adding factors and budgies can have both, looks very pretty too :p

Oliver (Budgie in picture) Had a grey chick only because he is split for blue, hope that makes sense.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
In Australia if you have a bird that is Grey Green in colour but has Violet Cheek Patches then technically it is an Olive. A Grey Green has blue grey cheek patches. This usually means the Olive should be carrying the violet gene.

I paired 2 greys together and got a Violet Sky proving that at least one parent was carrying violet.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
In Australia if you have a bird that is Grey Green in colour but has Violet Cheek Patches then technically it is an Olive. A Grey Green has blue grey cheek patches. This usually means the Olive should be carrying the violet gene.

I paired 2 greys together and got a Violet Sky proving that at least one parent was carrying violet.
hi there,

even if the bird has the black tail? an olive is a green series without any grey gene so should have the blue tail...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My mom has a quaker and a cherry face conure,and they have grey front chests..I read that is because of lack of sunlight.She keeps them covered if they get too loud for her.I think its stupid because that's what birds do...but anyways..just thought i'd throw that bit of info in there..I think pics would really help more,cold be a grey green.
This is Sammi.

She is a green with double factor grey or slate.
Is she similar to your bird? Hope this helps.
hi there,

sammi looks a lot like a yellow faced grey rather than a grey green..

·
6,826 Posts
Are you sure the tail is black and not deep deep navy. It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference. I have never in all the years I have been breeding and showing seen a Gray Green with violet cheek patches.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oliver's tail is black. His confirmed mutation is Violet Grey Green Opaline he is split for blue and has one dark factor. I know this because I've bred him and he produced a violet skyblue, a grey green, a grey and a violet olive. He was paired to an albino masking opaline with one dark factor.

Here's the breeding journal:http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=51710

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oliver's tail is black. His confirmed mutation is Violet Grey Green Opaline he is split for blue and has one dark factor. I know this because I've bred him and he produced a violet skyblue, a grey green, a grey and a violet olive. He was paired to an albino masking opaline with one dark factor.

Here's the breeding journal:http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=51710

·
6,826 Posts
A hen cannot be masking opaline. Opaline is a sex linked mutation. She has to be visual opaline but it cannot be easily seen as it is an albino. Only a **** bird can be split for a sex linked colour.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
A hen cannot be masking opaline. Opaline is a sex linked mutation. She has to be visual opaline but it cannot be easily seen as it is an albino. Only a **** bird can be split for a sex linked colour.
Note that I didn't say she was split for it. I said she was masking it, the ino gene negates all color so you never know what other mutations it could be hiding.

I know she is an opaline because all four chicks are opaline males.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My girl also has an all black tail. Just because no one has seen such a thing, doesn't make it not so. It just means you haven't seen it and it is very rare with the dark violet, yet dark grey sheened and dulled violitish cheek patches. Plus, as I said, her yellow head has a lot of grey on it and the body is a dull green w/ some greys seeming to run in it. She was the only one in the place that looked like that, but there were others in there that were blue violet. Deep deep blue violet and most were opaline too, the boys and girls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.