Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my two budgies about a year in a half ago and havent had any concerns as they were always healthy. Last week i noticed both birds lost a bit of feathers as there was a small pile at the bottom of the cage which i believe was just them molting. I now noticed with my blue female (Navia) has a pinkish area on her forehead and what appears to be black tips on the feathers. I think they are called pin feathers? But i wanted to be sure . Any information is appreciated. These were the best pictures i could get.

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
Yes, those are pin feathers and the black tips on the pinnies are very normal on a moulting budgie and there is no reason for worries.
The pinkish part you see on the pin feather is the blood supply that helps in the process of feather growth. The black tips happen when the pinnies open up, so pretty soon you will see new feathers sprouting from the pins.

Be sure to supplement your budgie's diet with some egg food and flax seed in order to help her cope with the energy lost from the moult and to promote the healthy growth of feathers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.