Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just wondering if anyone had experience identifying color mutations. I bred my pair and this little guy came up...never seen anything like it and all I can find that it looks like are these blackfaced budgies.

http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#blackface

any I have attached a couple pics of my baby here, sorry they aren't the best he is a busy little guy doesn't sit still for a minute!:) But you can see how the feathers have come through..(anything that looks yellow is just left over food from his meal that I hadn't cleaned off just yet.)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Actually the best place for this thread is in budgie mutations, where our experts hang out. :) He kinda looks like it to me but you can probably tell better when he's done feathering. He's adorable! If he is you have quite the bird on your hands!

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Looks like a chick to me :p
I can see some blue/violet around his bum. You wont be able to tell for another few days to a week just yet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't wait I kind of want to keep the whole clutch, they are all pretty interesting colorwise. I actually think the other might be a recessive pied blackface which I didn't think of until I read that they have found they come in that mutation as well. I was certain it was just heavily pied and sky blue like the mom but the dark spots are coming through black now as well. Does anyone on here have any blackface budgies they could post pics of? I have never seen one until now...if he turns out the way he looks like he is going to.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

i believe the blackface variety died out in the 90s. it may reoccur if the mutation happens again though.

i could not tell anything from the chick photo, can you post some more when they are older?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do! from the information I have gathered they are not died out completely there are only a few people who have them and one breeder in particular who keeps them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think any color anyone is seeing is just due to the poor image, If you see him in person there is absolutely no color other than black and white as of yet.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
from the images he is a grey as his tail is black. with a grey normal you would expect to see only black and white at this stage of development.

the determining factor will be the amount of barring that remains on the face and the barring that is present on the body. blackfaces have barring right down their chests.

these things will have to wait until it has more feathers to determine. is the rec pied older? can we see it too?

can you point me to the info about blackfaces being around these days, i would love to know more about them.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree with tonic. I cant really see the chest/body feathering/barring with the current photos. It looks like it may be a grey colour, but I will wait for further pictures before saying anything more :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes I guess it is all a waiting game. I thought possible grey also...would be more likely lol....Is it true that the barring on babies always goes to the beak until after the first molt? Either way he is a cutie we will most likely keep him.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree with tonic. I cant really see the chest/body feathering/barring with the current photos. It looks like it may be a grey colour, but I will wait for further pictures before saying anything more :)
yes, in most varieties the barring goes right to the beak until they have their first moult. will look forward to seeing more pictures whatever they turn out to be!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

thanks for that, i have seen that one. i was hoping for something more recent that may indicate they were still around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.