Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
My baby budgie Jerry unexpectedly flew onto the stand fan and slipped his toe into it. I can see little bleeding on his long toe, and he is limping right now. His is standing on one foot and is trying to used his injured leg while turning around. I do not think the toe is fractured as he constantly tries to use it. But I'm scared it could be. There isnt any avian vet near by and i dont know what to do.I can't stop crying, I can't watch him in pain. I tried to wash his foot in saline water, but i don;t think he liked it much.
I will attach a picture to understand it better. Any advices and insights are welcome.
thank you.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
I urge you to go to ANY vet, if an avian one is not available.

Budgies try very hard not to show any weakness - it is an incredibly strong instinct in them, even pet birds. You see, in the wild, an injured bird is a flock liability, so they are either killed or left behind without a flock protection.

Your baby could have more injuries than just a toe and it could be injured higher up - at the very least, he'll probably need antibiotics and even a regular vet would be able to manage this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thank you so much for reply!
Yes, i did take him to a vet.The injury is mainly on the long toe on the front . She prescribed some antibiotics and some multi vitamins for a week, which should be given through water and she told to apply betadine 2 times for 3 days. He is not able to bend it to grasp as of now. Apparently the long toe might be dead, and we would have to get it amputated if its causing trouble for him :c
The doctor also told me to lay him off the vegetables when he's on the meds.
He is doing fine as of now, his foot still hurts. Hopefully, he will get better soon. Praying and hoping for the best!
Thank you.

·
Administrator
56,659 Posts
Please be sure to update us in this thread with regard to his progress.

I'm moving the thread over to the "Follow-up" section of the forum at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heyy,
So he's still on anti-biotics. His feet still is a little swollen and dark. He cannot close his toe to grasp. He uses his feet little, but then he lifts it up. (i think it's because it starts to hurt after some time). I am keeping him separate from his friends as i noticed one of them trying to pick on his leg. So he is alone in his cage. He is very restless in his cage, he tries to climb up the walls and come out of the door, whenever he sees me in the room or when his friends are out. I think his antics in the cage is making it longer to heal. So now most of the day, I take him out of his cage and keep him near where i work with food and water and take him back to cage at night. He does fly a little when he is out but he settles down quickly, i think that is better than all that climbing he tries to do with the injured feet.
The vet also recommended to apply honey to make the skin less dry, but I'm scared if it will mess with the healing process or if it will get infected.
I feel so sad looking at his feet and his pain.
I'm attaching his current picture.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
56,659 Posts
Sorry to hear he had to lose part of his toe.
It sounds as though he's doing well now and is on the road to a good recovery.
Best wishes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.