Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! So as I’m getting back into genetics, I’ve ran into a hurdle that has to do with determining normal green bird split mutations and what they could mean. I have 2 seemingly normal greens (the first 2 in my life) and upon further inspection there is some blue on the vent/rump and in the right light even up into the lower abdomen areas. My question is how do you determine what it means and does it even really mean anything? They’re my first 2. Kyanite I’ve had since last year and Pyrite is still in quarantine and is new. I’ve attached her picture from her ad on here. I’ve also attached baby photos of Ky and a not so great recent one. Very interested into looking into these two and learning more about indicators of splits in green Budgies! Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As babies, green budgies split to blue will usually have blue around their vent or on their rump, as you can see in the photo of Ky as a baby.

However, violet greens also have a bluish tinge and that is true for the budgie in the first photo and Pyrite in the second (are they both pyrite?). She appears to be a dark green single factor violet budgie, which explains the blush hue on her rump even into adulthood and slightly dimmed green color :)

However, the extent to which you can see blue on a blue split green bird depends on the individual bird, and additionally it mostly disappears usually after the first moult. Generally speaking, you can't tell if an adult green budgie is split blue or not ;)
Okay! Thank you! I was thinking Pyrite was Violet green and had a dark factor so that’s exciting! She’s the first two original photos.

Now I’m really confused about Ky. I asked in an exhibition group and got all possible answers for his possible mutation, which only served to confuse me more so I’m no closer to figuring out if he’s green series with some other factor or goldenface blue.His breeder thinks he came from his goldenface blue sire x skyblue opaline hen pairing but I didn’t see them myself so I have no idea. I took some more pictures of him, I still see some blue on his abdomen and definitely on his vent area. I’m currently working on trying to find him a mate for later this year, so I’m trying to calculate what hen I want to be looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh, he's a hard one. In the recent photos you just posted he looks as if blue series is a possibility, but i'm confused by his baby photo since there he looks green series, green split blue. Additionally in the "not so great" photo of him in your first post, he looked definitely green series. So I'm honestly not sure at this point 😅

How does the breeder not know for sure who his parents were?
Lol. So he’s just confusing. I’m not sure why the breeder isn’t sure. I think he has more than 100 birds so I don’t think he keeps great track of them. I had gotten Ky to handfeed myself, because I love the bonding, so maybe he just chose whatever baby was ready to be pulled from the nest? I wasn’t really picky about color so that is my fault. I’m going to a different breeder this weekend to choose a female for Ky though. This breeder apparently has a few hundred EBs so should be fun picking one. I’m probably going to be getting a blue series to crack the mystery of whether he’s blue or green.
Thank you!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.