Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.. i started keeping budgies with a single pair.. i have a green pied pair but both the **** and the hen have few blue feathers. the **** has blue feathers on its belly and its quite visible. the hen has only one blue feather near its tail. i went through color infomation but non of the sites mention blue on a green pied. they are dominant pieds. the pair has raised its first clutch of 4 babies and are incubating the 2nd batch. the first batch has 3 green pieds and one normal blue. the blue looks like a cobalt. is this possible from a green pied pair? wat mutation is my pair?

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
You certainly could have two green parents that both have a blue gene and blue would show up. That does not account for the blue you see on them I don't think. I am wondering if they are yellow face that has flushed out the body color and turned it green. A picture would really help and there are people on here who could tell you for sure. Welcome to Talk Budgies :):)

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
What beautiful babies and mom and dad. I am pretty sure dad is actually blue, mom I am not as sure. I have a light green pied and an olive green pied and they do not look like that. Maybe momma. The dark factor in her explains how you got a cobolt.

Someone will be on and able to tell you for sure. The ones to look for that I can think of off hand(sorry for anyone I miss) are Nev, Guthwolf and Rachelle. They can tell you exactly what your birds are.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot ericka.. but how do i refer to the people u mentioned? m sorry for the trouble.. m new to both budgies and forums lol.. hope to figure both out soon.. thanx for the help.. i feel realy welcomed n part of this forum.. thnx

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
They will come on eventually and will hopefully see your post. The names I gave you are their screen names so when they post you will know who they are. They tend to search out the mutations posts as they know we look to them for help and we have all been learning a lot about mutations from them. Just as we have fantastic breeders who help us in that arena as well.

I am glad you feel welcome. This is a fun site and has people with tons of knowledge. I have learned boatloads since being here. Also I am sure you have info and stories to share with others as well. Your birds are really beautiful and I am anxious to see what the experts have to say :)

All I know is that your male looks blue and your girl has 2 dark factor although she looks mare grey green then olive to me. Green is dominant and blue is recessive. A green bird can carry the blue gene but a blue bird cannot carry the green gene. Since green in dominant you must have a blue parent and a carrier or two carriers to get a blue baby. But I am still learning and have a long long way to go

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Hi Sunna and welcome to the forum.

Dark greens and olives often have some slightly blueish feathers but, from the picture I think that your **** bird is a type 2 yellow face blue that has gone green

A pair of green birds can each be split for blue and produce a blue chick. Regardless of colour this pair would be expected to produce: 50% single factor dominant pied, 25% double factor dominant pied and 25% normal.

If they were both green split for blue you would expect about 25% blue chicks and 75% green

If your **** bird is a yellow face blue then you'd expect: 50% green, 25% yellow face blue & 25% blue

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
See Sunna I told you they would find you :) Awesome as always Nev :) I got a little bit right!

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Hi Sunna. I don't know anything about mutations. I always leave that to the experts. Those guys are good aren't they?

All I know is that they are positively gorgeous. The one with the blotches of blue looks like an artist painted the colors on her. Very pretty birds. You must be very proud of them. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they were both green split for blue you would expect about 25% blue chicks and 75% green

If your **** bird is a yellow face blue then you'd expect: 50% green, 25% yellow face blue & 25% blue
thanx alot nev.. great help.. the first clutch had only 4 babies, so it might be too soon to judge the genotype of the parents by jus considerin these four babies.. the four babies were 3 green pieds and one normal cobalt.. cant wait to see the babies of the next clutch.. i checked the nest today and there r 8 eggs now :) (actually the pair laid 9 already and one got damaged as the cobalt is stil sleepin in the nest.. it was way younger than its siblings.. i think i should seperate the babies now..) anyways, i think i should be able to determine the genotype of the pair after i see the second clutch.. hope things go well.. ill keep u all posted on the babies.. the first egg should be hatchin pretty soon.. m soo excited.. hehe..
thank u thank u thank u..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thnx arlene.. yes yes yes m so so proud of my babies :) only wish i had more time to spend with them.. all of u guys r so wonderful.. m so glad i joined this forum.. thnk u all..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.