Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and about to get 2 new babies this week!

My question is what mutation is the blue baby? The breeder suggested grey lacewing, but I'm not sure of that?

And she wants to give them to me at 4.5 weeks, is that not too young?

Can't wait to get them!

Bird Eye Parrot Beak Finger
Bird Eye Parrot Beak Finger

·
Registered
195 Posts
My question is what mutation is the blue baby? The breeder suggested grey lacewing, but I'm not sure of that?
There's no such thing as a grey lacewing. A lacewing is a combination of Ino (albino or lutino) and cinnamon. Such a bird will have red eyes and a white or yellow body with pale cinnamon wing markings.

I must say that the combination of selling you a budgie at 4.5 weeks and calling the bird a mutation that does not exist makes me more than a little concerned about this breeder.

As for what the mutation of the 'blue' chick really is, we'd need a photo taken in natural light that doesn't distort the color as this photo does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I'm no expert, but I knew right away it's not a grey lacewing. He is gorgeous though! She did offer to keep them longer, as I'm not confident in hand rearing such young babies. What is a good age to take them home?

My other option is a show budgie breeder, who has 2 x 8.5 week old babies that she says are ready and eating on their own, see photos attached.
Bird Parrot Beak Pet supply Feather
Bird Hand Beak Parrot Pet supply

Here's updated photos on the 2 small normal sized budgies - the blueish one is 5 days younger than the Lutino one.
Bird Furniture Beak Parrot Gesture

Bird Green Parrot Pet supply Beak

He doesn't look blue anymore, much more pale yellow than I expected from her first photos.

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
Chicks should not be released by a breeder to a new owner until they reach a minimum of 8 weeks old and have been fully weaned for 2 weeks.
Otherwise you run a huge risk of the chicks regressing. Additionally, it is important for chicks to be around adult budgies when they are young so they can properly learn to be birds.
Therefore, I have to questions the ethics of the first breeder you've referenced. :(

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I visited both breeders, and am going for the older show budgies - 9 weeks old currently.

Can someone please help me with colours and mutation? Sky blue/cobolt/mauve/voilet? And she says they're opaline, but I don't think so?
Bird Hand Eye Beak Comfort
Bird Hand Gesture Finger Feather

Hand Bird Eye Beak Finger
Hand Bird Eye Beak Finger

Bird Finger Beak Feather Nail

With the camera flash on above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two absolutely adorable boys, both normals (so no opaline), one sky single factor violet, the other cobalt single factor violet.

I think its the right decision to go with a more responsible breeder. They are literally SO precious!
Thank you :) She says you can't tell yet if the light one many be a girl?

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
19,318 Posts
Thanks Star, that's what I thought... normal! Thanks so much, I wanted to ask though, how do you know they have single factor violet? She also said one may be a girl... but then she also says they're opaline haha!!
It can be hard to tell gender for some baby budgies but these boys are definitely boys! The bright pink and rounded ceres are the key factor.

As for coloring, SF violet can be hard to tell in sky blues but if you look around the ears with the flash on you can usually tell.

Bird Hand Finger Beak Feather

The cobalt one is definitely violet; for some reason violet tends to blend in very well with cobalt and make it distinctly purple looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all, I've got my 2 new babies, I'm so excited!!
Can you guys please help me sex my 2 new English Budgies? They are 8 weeks old :)
I'm assuming the voilet is a boy, but both are slowly going lighter around the nostrils?
I know it may be to early, but keen to hear any opinions!! Oh, and need name suggestions as well please 🙏
Pics taken in natural light of course.

Bird Eye Parrot Beak Purple
Bird Beak Feather Terrestrial animal Snout
Bird Eye Beak Human body Parrot
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Bird supply

·
Super Moderator
19,318 Posts
They are beautiful and I’m so glad you have picked them up now!! Both 100% adorable boys.
As for names… I’d name them Bramble and Bracken, and with Brack and Bram for nicknames I think it’s adorable!!!

If you’re going for something fancier, Charlie and Morgan, or Theo and Teddy.

On the other hand, if you want something cuter, I’ve ALWAYS thought Kipper and Pip is the cutest pair of names ever ☺

I can’t wait to see more of them! 💙💜

(by the way, they’re both violet!! The light blue is sky violet while the other is cobalt violet, which is more visually violet)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are beautiful and I’m so glad you have picked them up now!! Both 100% adorable boys.
As for names… I’d name them Bramble and Bracken, and with Brack and Bram for nicknames I think it’s adorable!!!

If you’re going for something fancier, Charlie and Morgan, or Theo and Teddy.

On the other hand, if you want something cuter, I’ve ALWAYS thought Kipper and Pip is the cutest pair of names ever ☺

I can’t wait to see more of them! 💙💜

(by the way, they’re both violet!! The light blue is sky violet while the other is cobalt violet, which is more visually violet)
Thank you so much, I love your name choices, I'm going to spend a lot of time choosing I think!

I also like Sky/Skyla and Bubbles for the Sky Violet, and Indigo (Indi for short) or Oshun for the Cobalt Violet. Not very original I know, but like the earthy names :)

·
Super Moderator
19,318 Posts
If that's the case, what about Lapiz and Cyan, or !! a very alternative suggestion of Haneul and Hosu (Sky and Lake in Korean).

I'm sure whatever you choose will fit them perfectly~ Sometimes it helps to know their personality a bit first, as well.

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
I just want to say that your baby budgie boys are ADORABLY PRECIOUS!!

You might want to start an on-going picture thread for them in the Budgie Pictures section of the forum so you can post LOTS of pictures of them in the days to come. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.