Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this budgie in a group on Facebook, and I never saw anything like this.

What is this mutation called?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I would love to see the front of this bird. Looks like a dom pied Spangle - or maybe Opaline, but not sure about that. It's quite a lovely bird.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Opaline spangle.I believe some opaline spangles have no dark markings,just body colour feathers bordered with base colour.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most of my spangles have that thumb print of colour on the back of their heads also. I have always wondered if that is the way they are supposed to be or not???

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Rashu means the blue slightly coloured spot on his head, correct me if I'm wrong :) Its a GORGEOUS birdie :)
Haha yes, exactly....and I remembered that it's a white based bird so if it were pied, then that patch would have been white, not blue. lol

Sorry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Rashu,

Just wanted to confirm that this bird is an Opaline Spangle blue-series bird (you're correct with the whitespot "thumb-print" that would have applied for a "dominant pied")....

...but also to emphasise that Spangle birds do have such a body coloured "patch" to the back/top of head!...it's quite normal as the below Opaline Spangle YF bird of mine indicates...this same "black-barring"-type spot as baby resulted in his name "Black-cap"!

"Black-cap" as baby:
Budgy02-2011_0098ed1.jpg

Budgy02-2011_0118e1.jpg

Budgy02-2011_0184e1.jpg

...and him as adult...quite nice change in colour once grown!
Budgy0711_1000172e1s.jpg

Budgy0711_1000174e1s.jpg

Enjoy the birds!
Jacodk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.