Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to start a thread to kind of have an ongoing log of my budgies. I bought my first budgie, Hamilton, from Petco because the Petco in my area is the best of the pet stores, and I had an extremely hard time finding breeders or a rescue. I got him on January 28th, and so far he's settling in well. After some consideration, I decided that Hamilton probably needed a friend. We have a cat and two dogs in the house, so the budgies have to be kept in a room with a shut door, because I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm also in school and have a part time job, so I don't think I can dedicate as much time as a single budgie kept in a side room would need to not feel lonely. I know that trying to tame two budgies will be a lot harder and take a lot longer, but I'd rather the struggle be on my side than the birds'. When we got Hamilton, there was also a really pretty blue-grey female that my mom really liked. So today we decided to go back and see if she was still there, and she was. We named her Hope. I didn't quarantine her because they were from the same stock of birds at the store, so they've already been exposed to each other anyway. When I put her in the cage and the two saw each other, there was a lot of excited chirping and they both seemed very happy. They both seem to be settling in very well now. I sat here reading to them for a while, and occasionally Hamilton would start chirping, and I'd talk to him and he'd chirp at me again. Eventually Hope joined in and all three of us were going back and forth. Now Hope is napping and Hamilton is sitting beside her, looking like he's trying to decide if he wants to take a nap too. They both seem very healthy and happy so far. I'll get pictures of them and put them up in a little bit! I'm just so excited for life with these two adorable budgies! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was woken up by happy chirping this morning, which I must say is far better than an alarm clock. I'm absolutely thrilled that they seem to be settling in so quickly now that they both have a buddy to hang out with. When I uncovered the cage, Hope was on the rope perch that Hamilton has only ventured onto once, and just a few minutes ago, she kind of pecked at a toy and looked at it strangely as it swung, and then went over to eat. They're both eating and sleeping and preening and such in front of me, which makes me very happy! I'm surprised by how much more active Hamilton is now that he has a friend, and it definitely makes me happy I decided to get Hope. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've opened the door to the cage while I'm sitting across the room and I put some spray millet on the doorway to try and coax them out to get some exercise time, but so far they've looked at me like I'm crazy. Time to read some more about trying to get them to come out for play time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something very surprising happened earlier this evening. I was pulling the veggies from today out of their cage, and I noticed that Hope wasn't trying to move away from where my hand was, so I decided to see if she would let me get closer. She did, and even stepped up onto my finger. She sat there for quite a while before she stepped down. I didn't know if it was a fluke so I decided to try again, and she stepped up again. I went to tell my mom, since technically Hope is her budgie, and she came up, and Hope even stepped onto her finger. Then she got Hamilton to do it too, and had both budgies on one hand. After that we decided to let them be to leave them with a good experience. I'm very surprised considering they're both Petco budgies who have definitely not been socialized whatsoever. I'm really hoping that they're just warming up to us quickly, and not just being compliant because they don't feel well. I get paid on Friday, so I was planning on setting up a vet check for next week anyway, but I'm hoping it's good news cause there's that little bit of worry in my mind at how quickly this happened, especially with two birds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this is a picture from the first day that I had gotten Hope.

For those of you who saw the pictures of Hamilton in my intro thread, you'll notice that the wall color has changed. My mom agreed to let me use the empty spare room as a budgie room, because the room he was originally in didn't get much natural light, while the spare room gets much better light. My mom said that she wants to put a screen door in so the other pets can be kept out, but the budgies won't be so cut off from the rest of the house.
This morning I decided to sprinkle some seeds on top of their fresh food dish, and a piece of cantaloupe was at least knocked out of the bowl. I didn't see any nibbles, but at least they were checking it out.
There was also some more good interactions with them today. I got them both to step up a few times today, and Hope even had a little out of cage adventure. I had set her on the floor, and she would just calmly walk away when I asked her to step up again. Eventually she decided to step back up and let me put her back in the cage. Since that had taken longer than planned, I had Hamilton step up, but didn't take him out of the cage. There's been some really good progress at a very surprising pace. I'm just trying to make sure to not go too quickly with them, because I don't want to backtrack on some of the progress.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yesterday was a pretty great day for the budgies! I had the Hamilton musical soundtrack playing and had the cage door open so they could come out if they wanted to, and Hamilton the budgie started getting very excited at one point when the music got faster. He started chirping and screeching up a storm, which excited Hope too, and both of them came flying out of the cage! They both seemed very amazed, and fluttered around on the floor for a while, exploring and just being amazed in general. Hamilton was fairly easy to get back to the cage when he finally stepped up, but Hope was a bit trickier. Every time I would get her to step up, she would flutter off my finger again before I could get her back in the cage. One time she flew to the side of the cage and then couldn't figure out how to get in. Eventually, after a long time of me exhibiting lots and lots of patience, she finally stayed on long enough for me to put her in the cage.
Today I didn't have as much time to hang out with the budgies, but I did get them to step up a few times, and they seem to be getting more comfortable with it. Overall, I'm thrilled with their progress, and never expected them to be warming up to me so quickly. We have a vet appointment on Friday just to get a general health check done, and it shouldn't be as hard to get them there as I thought it was going to be!

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Glad to hear all is well and progressing at a good rate. Remember patience is the key and sometimes they will seem to go backwards, this is normal looking forward to hearing all about the vet visit.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.