Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budgie and lately she's been pretty bored. If she's not out, she sits on one specific perch the whole time she's in her cage, and doesn't do anything. She doesn't like her toys/never uses them (I've tried many different toys), she doesn't like treats/seed/fruit/veg, I feel like she just eats to survive (she's a good weight not underweight), she hates any other birds, the only thing I've found she actually likes is human interaction, but she hates hands and will attack them unless it's me.

She doesn't even care for the radio. Does anyone have any ideas to help keep her occupied and entertained while she's not out of her cage? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

· Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,776 Posts
It’s hard to say, given that we’re not there; as there can be many factors as to why. Is your budgie new? Is your budgie alone in a bedroom or somewhere where there is limited activity going on? Has she always been this way since you’ve had her, or is the behavior new? Has there been any significant change in her life, such as a new cage placement, or entirely new routine? Even though those things wouldn’t necessarily phase every budgie. I wonder if there’s any chance she can be ill?

· Administrator
60,477 Posts
How much time are you spending interacting with her every day? If she isn't getting much interaction, then she probably is bored and need you to spend more time with her.

· Registered
20 Posts
Have you ever tried foraging toys? My budgie was alone after her cage ate died and she wouldn't except to go to the food and water bowl. I bought some new perches and toys to add some stimulus to the environment, it helped a little, but it didn't change much so I made some foraging toys. I would cover her food dish with paper towels so she would have to dig through the paper to get to her food and I made other diy foraging toys, too.
[nomedia="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xe8v0pH17Q"]3 Quick and Easy Foraging Toys | DIY - YouTube[/nomedia]

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Bring the cage into the room most people are in most of the time (make sure one side of the cage is against a wall so your bebe doesn't feel overly exposed. Sit near your budgie and talk to them, sing to them, general interaction on the low key level. Have the cage doors open so your budgie can explore a bit if they want to.
I found picture books for children really helped when I first got my rescue budgie; he didn't know how to play or anything either from a year of neglect. By showing him the pictures and going all 'Oooooooo, what's this? This is neat!' and telling him about it, really engaging with him similar to one would a baby, I found he would get interested. Now he happily will check things out himself! Anything new presented to your budgie act all excited and your budgie's interest might take hold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.