Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kiwi & Coco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my two parakeets are around 9 weeks. The day I was gonna bring them home, their cage had everything I thought it was needed. Perches, toys, food cups, ropes.. well, I showed the breeder the picture and he told me to remove everything from the cage and only leave one perch at the bottom of the cage with lots of food and lots of millet, until the learn how to perch. Well, the birds started climbing to the top of the cage and falling, so I decided that I was gonna add everything back to the cage because clearly the birds love to be at the top of the cage and It will be safer. The problem is that I have been adding blankets to the bottom of the cage just in case they fall (happens atleast 5 times a day) and I only have so many blankets lol and to wash them it’s a mess, my poor washer machine :ROFLMAO:. Do you guys know what I can put on the bottom of the cage that is as comfortable as a blanket? Cage has more perches now and different food cups, but this is how I have with the blanket.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Try covering the blankets with a couple layers of paper towels, that way you can just change the paper towels and you will not have to wash the blankets as often. It may be a while before the boys can get around really well because it looks like their wings have been clipped.

·
Registered
Kiwi & Coco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try covering the blankets with a couple layers of paper towels, that way you can just change the paper towels and you will not have to wash the blankets as often. It may be a while before the boys can get around really well because it looks like their wings have been clipped.
Unfortunately, he did clip them! He asked me to keep clipping them so they don’t become independent, but there is no way I would do that! I was not happy when he did it and didn’t even asked me if I wanted them clip :cry: Also,I will put paper on top of the blanket, that’s a good idea.. haha not sure how didn’t I think of that.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Great cage! I have several of that model. 💙

I'd maybe put newspapers over the blankets for now. Also consider adding some ladders for awhile until their flight feathers grow back.

Also, millet should be used as a treat so you might want to consider removing the spray millet from their cage. It's high in fat content and is used as a training aid/treat.

I'd also recommend removing the mirror from the cage. Budgies can easily become obsessed with their reflection which leads to aggressive and territorial behavior. Some budgies will regurgitate to their image to the point they become malnourished.

My other suggestion is to make sure you clip the spring loaded doors on the side of the cage shut to prevent accidents. They can flip open when hit hard enough by a budgie and cause serious injury to the bird.

Clips for Spring Load Side Doors

Essentials to a Great Cage

·
Registered
Kiwi & Coco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great cage! I have several of that model. 💙

I'd maybe put newspapers over the blankets for now. Also consider adding some ladders for awhile until their flight feathers grow back.

Also, millet should be used as a treat so you might want to consider removing the spray millet from their cage. It's high in fat content and is used as a training aid/treat.

I'd also recommend removing the mirror from the cage. Budgies can easily become obsessed with their reflection which leads to aggressive and territorial behavior. Some budgies will regurgitate to their image to the point they become malnourished.

My other suggestion is to make sure you clip the spring loaded doors on the side of the cage shut to prevent accidents. They can flip open when hit hard enough by a budgie and cause serious injury to the bird.

Clips for Spring Load Side Doors

Essentials to a Great Cage
Hi, yes I added a long ladder and a long rope so they can go up. And well, I am a bad mother, I have been giving them so much millet omg. The breeder told me to always have it available for them, but I will remove them right now! And yes I removed the mirror also because every singles time that CoCo would look at his reflection, he will flap his wings like he is not happy lol. Thank you!!

·
Registered
Two females, Cobbler and Mango. One male, Pickles.
107 Posts
I cant stop looking at this cage! Its absolutely amazing. I bet your birds love it!

·
Registered
Kiwi & Coco
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I cant stop looking at this cage! Its absolutely amazing. I bet your birds love it!
Aw thank you so much! It’s a prevue I believe? They do seem to love it! And they have lots of space. At first I was worry because they are so small, but now it’s perfect.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.