Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
This is a baby boy. He is ADORABLE!

How old is he?
Baby budgies should not be released from the breeder to a new owner until they are a minimum of 8 weeks old and have been fully weaned for a minimum of 2 weeks. Looks like he is enjoying some healthy broccoli in the picture.

Is he yours?
If so, what have you named him?

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are trying to find out if Zuzu is a boy or girl because we want to get another budgie. Thought she was a girl but thinking she might be a boy. She’s about five months.
I’m so sorry, I meant 5 months old! Oops! Omg so a boy???

Ok yeah I did say 5 months. Please confirm you still think he’s a boy. He’s so sweet! We named him Zuzu. He absolutely loves broccoli. We want to get another budgie and want the same sex.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Zuzu is definitely male so if you plan to get another budgie, you need to make sure to get another male. You do not want to have to take the steps necessary to prevent breeding and two males will generally become best friends.
Zazu really does not look like he is 5 months old. Did you get him from a breeder?
If you get another budgie you need to ensure you quarantine it for 35-45 days in a different cage in a different room than Zuzu.
Be sure to read the information about quarantine in the post I made previously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww I’m actually happy he’s a boy! I read that two boys get along better than two females. Makes sense! Haha
I’m pretty sure they told us he was 14 weeks when we got him, and that was 8 weeks ago. We got him from a local bird shop. We plan to go to the same place to get our 2nd budgie. Oh and by the way, they couldn’t tell me if he was a boy or not at that time.

·
Super Moderator
18,902 Posts
He's adorable and I agree that he looks to be a boy :D However, two males do not necessarily get along better than two females. Usually the main deciding factor of whether or not two budgies get along is personality ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi again! So we got our 2nd budgie. We thought we were picking a boy but I’m now, after 2 days, thinking it’s a girl! Now what? I don’t want to have to deal with them mating! Here’s a picture of the 2nd budgie. We named him Riso (maybe).

By the way, in natural light, its cere looks purple, which is why I thought it was a boy. He’s about 14-16 weeks I was told.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Riso is a very handsome MALE!!

Make sure you have him quarantined.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.

Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts