Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just picked up this sweet pea. I'm having a hard time trying to gender it. Its nose is brown unlike the others it was with. "Apparently it is only about 10 weeks old. Can anyone help, why is it's nose brown and gender xx

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Your new girl is beautiful.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the place you got her from lied to you. She is an adult budgie, well over a year old. She has already had her first several moults, her irises are the adult color (clear white) and she also has come into condition, which is what the brown of her cere means.

She is an adult female budgie, and without knowing when she hatched there is no way to tell her age at this point except that she's over a year old. Her cere may turn back to blue or whitish if she comes out of condition or may stay brown; it depends on the budgie.

What have you named her?

Meanwhile, it's great to have you on the forums as you've come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! In order to stay updated on the best of budgie care, please sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies".

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Best wishes 馃憢

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! For now we have named her SweetPea (Pea for short)

I'm very disappointed that I was lied to because I wanted to train her to be used to handling and kisses therefore lower her chances of biting or being scared. She voluntarily will jump on my hand as soon as I put my hand in her cage. She is happy to do that but will bite if you try to pat her.

I'm giving her time to settle in but would love pointers if it's not too late to get her use to handling. I absolutely adore her!

Super Moderator
Though young budgies bond with humans more easily, it ultimately is down to the personality of the bird whether or not they decided to bond with humans or are outgoing. It seems that Sweet Pea has an outgoing and friendly personality so she will most likely bond with you given time and patience, as well as a lot of interaction.

On the other hand, most budgies do not like to be petted. My girl is very bonded to me and she will not stand for it; most budgies are this way starting in adulthood. Therefore it's important to watch their body language and determine if she's ok with that or not; from what you've said it seems like she's not!

For now since you just got her it's best not to try and touch her or put your hand in the cage. Many budgies are submissive initially because they are very scared in their new home. Even if this isn't the case for Pea, it's best to not touch her for two weeks and instead spend lots of time interacting with her with her in the cage, such as sitting next to her, talking to her, reading to her, talking out loud to her, even if it's nonsense, she will feel like you're including her in your flock. Additionally, if she's fine with it, resting your hand on the outside of the cage is good too.

Eventually I suspect she'll start moving over to the side of the cage where she can see you better :D

Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

Administrator
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Sweet Peas is a pretty little girl. 馃挋

I recommend you remove the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores
Bumblefoot
The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home and you should not be trying to touch or tame them at this time.
They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgie or force her to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build her trust in you.
She will have to learn over time that you will not hurt her, grab her and try to force her to allow you to hold her.

To build your budgie鈥檚 trust, sit by her cage and read, talk or sing quietly to her for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After the 2nd or 3rd day, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to her so she'll learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt her.

After a week, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.
Don鈥檛 make sudden moves, don鈥檛 try to touch her.
Let her get used to the idea that the hand is now in her safe place and not harming her.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your budgie. If she becomes agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until she calms down. When she's comfortable with your hand near her, you can offer her a bit of millet or a few seeds. In a few more days, you can begin your taming and bonding sessions.

Always work at your budgie's pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to her whenever you interact with her.

Bonding means allowing your budgie to choose to be with you.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads 鈥渟tuck鈥 at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads