Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not actually planning on doing this, unless I happen to get the money and space later on to get English budgies, but I was just really curious as to what would happen if someone did breed and English budgie to an American. Has anyone on here done this before? Is it safe? Would it matter which was the male and which was the female? Would you get some English budgies and some Americans, all mixed English/American, or some of both? Would it alter their temperaments (like make an English-looking budgie have the more flighty temperament of an American, or vice versa)? Just thought this was an interesting thing to think about and research :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought this was a really interesting question, but since I've never had an English budgie, much less bred one, I didn't know the answer either. A quick google search provided this thread, which not only talks about crossed budgies, but also has pictures!

A few TB threads on the issue include this one and this one!

Hope that helped!

Reactions: Jonah

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I actually did read those threads when I googled it a bit as well, but decided to keep my post here as I still had a few unanswered questions haha

·
Super Moderator
18,100 Posts
I think this is a very interesting question!

Because American and English budgies really only refer to their specific traits (not a different species) then it is not possible to get "some American and some English". All the traits present in both budgie types will be all mixed up, and some will look more English (bigger, fluffier, large throat spots) and some will look more American (smaller, less throat spots, no large crest) although any of them will have the personality of either of the parents.
It doesn't matter which is the male and which is the female :)
Multiple members on here have 50/50 budgies and it depends on which traits they inherited from which parent, either English or American.
Does that make sense? :D :2thumbs:

·
Member of the Month Sept 2015
1,093 Posts
Yes this is possible and does not matter which one would be male or female

I know a breeder who did that

To me it’s totally mismatch pairing :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies! Do you think it would be at all possible to selectively breed them so as to get a "mixed" look, with the personality and color definition of an English, and the lifespan of an American?

·
Member of the Month Sept 2015
1,093 Posts
The offspring I saw were more like oversize American Budgies

Breeding for some trait comes with vast experience and knowledge people like Jo Ann or Lindsey can guide

Can’t confirm the life span :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.