Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 budgies and was wondering if it would be possible to breed a male opaline spangle. there mutations are as following.

Autumn- female yellowface type 2 mauve or cobalt cinnamon spangle.
shadow- male yellowface type 2 split Greywing possibly opaline as dad was split
kalipso- male normal sky blue
Aaron- male cinnamon cobalt split opaline
Luna- female yellowface type 2 recessive/dominant pied (has iris rings)
Summer- female green cinnamon opaline spangle possibly split blue as she has alot of blue body feathers among her green.

what are the possibilities? I would love to end up having a pair of opaline spangles to breed eventually.

right now I considered breeding shadow with summer... this would give me an opaline spangle if he is split but if not then I would keep a male spangle that would be split opaline. if summer is split for blue I would keep a Blue but if not the green would be split blue.

then I would breed autumn with aaron. this could give me an opaline spangle female that would be blue. it is possible to keep either an opaline spangle female that is either yellowface or has a normal white face which brings me to my next question

when breeding yellowface type 2 is it better to breed yellowface a with a yellowface to obtain a brighter yellow in the face and body or a yellowface with a normal white face?

the I would breed the two babies together (once old enough) which then I could get my yellowface type 2 opaline spangle male.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I don't know about your YF question, but I have 2 yf birds that I bred to normal birds and their chicks had nice bright yellow faces. I think your best, get it done in one try, shot would be to pair Shadow and Summer and hope he is split to opaline. IF he is split to opaline, you have a 25% chance of an opaline male. And if all the odds line up you could get your yf opaline spangle male from them. If not, your plan above sounds good. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I am really hoping he is split to opaline. I also hope that summer is split to blue. the only way to find out is to try!

·
Registered
214 Posts
To produce yellow-faced opaline spangles, you need normal spangle and opaline.

Male yellow-faced skyblue normal spangle (spilt for opaline) + female opaline mauve = yellow-faced cobalt opaline spangle.

See 4 photoes of adult male yellow-faced type 2nd opaline spangle budgies, start from left photo.
1st & 2nd photoes: yellow-faced type 2nd skyblue opaline spangle.
3rd & 4th photoes: yellow-faced type 2nd cobalt opaline spangle.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
right now I considered breeding shadow with summer... this would give me an opaline spangle if he is split but if not then I would keep a male spangle that would be split opaline. if summer is split for blue I would keep a Blue but if not the green would be split blue.

then I would breed autumn with aaron. this could give me an opaline spangle female that would be blue. it is possible to keep either an opaline spangle female that is either yellowface or has a normal white face which brings me to my next question

when breeding yellowface type 2 is it better to breed yellowface a with a yellowface to obtain a brighter yellow in the face and body or a yellowface with a normal white face?
It's great fun planning future breeding isn't it? Your plan should work out but you might not get the chicks you want in the first clutch. (Aaron's daughters will all include cinnamon in their mutations)
It is better to breed type 2 yellow face birds together because you should get about 25% double factor yellow face. The yellow will not spread as much in double factors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.