Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get my birds to go into breeding season and stay there. It has been so rainy here that some of the birds have gone into breeding condition. But when the sun comes out they decide not to lay or keep their eggs. I have started spraying them with water a couple times a day to keep them in breeding condition. I have also planed to buy bigger breeding cages soon so when the birds decide to breed I will have larger clutches. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my birds in breeding condition?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Budgies usually come into breeding season just after their moult. Although they can breed all year round, they typically prefer to breed in spring through the summer unless the summers are too hot where you are.

Spraying your birds will do little to nothing in regards to putting them into or keeping them in breeding mode, the rain only helps because it encourages the birds to be noisy. It would be far more beneficial to use a radio than to spray your birds. Providing an increased amount of protein after a period of normal food also can encourage birds to go into breeding mode, usually this protein increase is provided through the use of soft food in the aviary which is maintained in the breeding cages then increased with chicks hatching.

There is no quick fire way to make your budgies breed, you certainly cant force them. Its almost purely a matter of knowing your birds and watching for the signs that THEY are ready to breed rather than WE are ready for them to breed on our schedule.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah I somehow can't see that rain has anything to do with it as in the wild the normal time of the year to breed would be spring and it doesn't rain much in Oz then :D

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
lots and lots of protein:p
Lilac is coming into breeding season and shes just finished her moult..im so happy:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.