Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the pairs I will be breeding in a couple months don't seem to be bonding very well, so I am going to be swapping out the hen for another who is currently in perfect breeding condition.

The cockbird is Blair, a Yellow Face II Spangle Cobalt.

The Hen is Smokey, a Spangle Grey.

I just ran their genetics through a calculator and have a couple of questions...

1 - Is there any way of knowing if a bird is a DF grey without breeding them?

2 - Will the yellowface chicks (if any) be DF or SF? Does yellow appear through grey feathers as it does blue?

3 - Does anyone have pictures of grey yellowface spangles? I'm curious as to how they would look :D

Thanks in advance :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Sometimes a double factor grey will be darker than a single factor grey but this is not always the case so the only way to be sure is by breeding. Often if a grey bird is very dark it is because it's base colour is mauve, not because it is double factor grey

The yellow face chicks will all be single factor yellow face. To get a double factor yellow face both parents have to be yellow face. With a type 2 yellow face the yellow will spread through the grey making a rather muddy shade

Here's a picture of one of my yellow face grey spangles. This bird is a type 1 yellow face so the yellow has not spread much

Here's "baby and adult" picture of a type 2 yellow face grey (not spangle) that shows how the colour has changed after the first moult

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks Nev! I'm really looking forward to it now :D

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sometimes a double factor grey will be darker than a single factor grey but this is not always the case so the only way to be sure is by breeding. Often if a grey bird is very dark it is because it's base colour is mauve, not because it is double factor grey

The yellow face chicks will all be single factor yellow face. To get a double factor yellow face both parents have to be yellow face. With a type 2 yellow face the yellow will spread through the grey making a rather muddy shade

Here's a picture of one of my yellow face grey spangles. This bird is a type 1 yellow face so the yellow has not spread much

Here's "baby and adult" picture of a type 2 yellow face grey (not spangle) that shows how the colour has changed after the first moult
It is amazing how the colour changed! In the second pic the bird looks like a greygreen.

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
Can you lovely people tell me what MIGHT happen if I were to put another female in with a bonded pair?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
One of your hens might get killed.

Now, I do hope you start a breeding journal. One day, I'd love to own a YF grey spangle. So beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.