Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have got 3 greywings that are now old enough to breed. 2 of them are really small birds so i wanted to bred them with some of my larger birds to hopefully get a better size bird that is split to greywing.

I was just wondering if there are any mutations that i should avoid mixing with the greywing mutation.

Thanks in advance and I hope that made some sort of sense :S

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
What is your desired end result? Larger greywings than the ones you have? All of the dilution mutations (greywing, clearwing, dilute, FBC greywing) are recessive to normal. What mutations do you have to pick from? If it were me, I'd choose a normal bird. Then you'd get normals that were split to greywing. You could use the largest of those to breed to a different greywing that you have. Then choose the largest greywing offspring to again breed to a normal to add more size and so on and so forth. Do you know the parentage of your greywings? I ask because there are 2 ways to get a greywing. A bird will appear as a greying with either 2 copies of the greywing gene, or 1 greywing gene and 1 dilute gene. The birds would look the same, but when bred, the greywing with 2 greywing genes would only pass on greywing so you would get all normals/greywing. But if your greywing was the bird with 1 greywing and 1 dilute gene, your normal offspring would be split to either greywing or dilute and you wouldn't know for sure until you bred them. :D Make sense at all?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erin, yeah that kind of made sense i think (budgie genetics are so confusing lol)

The end result was to breed larger greywings as like i said the ones i currently have are kind of on the small side, but i had real trouble even finding those ones near where i live so i couldn't be too picky.

I have a few different mutations (Spangles, Cinnamon, Opaline, Rec Pied, Dom Pied, Ino) that I could pair them with but was not sure what would be the best ones to use. Although I have recently found out that i have a spangle that is split for clearwing but I'm not sure what that would result in:S

I have no idea about the parentage of the the greywings that i have (or many of the other budgies i've got to be honest lol) so i guess i will just have to breed them and find out

Thanks again for explaining all that

Craig

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I would stay away from inos, dom pieds, and cinnamons, just for personal preference. If you have a spangle hen that carries a clearwing gene and breed her to a male that is a greywing that has 2 greywing genes, you won't get clearwings, but you will get some full body color greywings. If you breed her to a greywing and it carries one greywing and one dilute gene, you can get FBC greywings and clearwings. So, with her, you won't get regular greywings. However, you could use the offspring to breed back with your original greywings and possibly get some greywings. Dilution genetics can be tricky and confusing. They fascinate me, so if you have any more questions, just ask! But, like I said before, I'd breed to some nice big normals and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.