Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about breeding my female violet spangle. She is almost three years old and I would like to breed her to produce more violets. What color should the male be that I breed her to accomplish this. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Teri

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
I'm no expert, but ikf you want a violet baby, you need a male that is at least recessive Violet ... I think. I'm trying to remember punnet squares from high school biology. :D
I think that if the male is recessive, and the female is dominant, in a clutch of 4, you should get at least one violet. If the hen recessive and male recessive, then 1/6 should be? I think that's it. I guess someone with more intelligence when it comes to this would be able to tell you. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told up to five years old was OK to breed. Or is that only if they have had a clutch at a younger age?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
She isnt at the ideal age, but she should still manage a final round or two before retiring her. There are higher risks of egg binding and such, but you can only try i suppose.

If you want violets and cannot find a violet male to breed her with, I would pair her to a normal sky blue or cobalt male. Any blue male will do, but I would avoid dilute mutations like cinnamon, greywing/clearwing/dilute, ino, opaline if possible. Yellowface type 1 is good, but Yellowface type 2 will ruin the violet effect once the yellow colour washes over the entire body.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I have a question about breeding my female violet spangle. She is almost three years old and I would like to breed her to produce more violets. What color should the male be that I breed her to accomplish this. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Teri
I don't think there is a problem breeding a 3 year old hen if she is fit and healthy. Dean has given you good advice about mates for her

I'm no expert, but ikf you want a violet baby, you need a male that is at least recessive Violet ... I think. I'm trying to remember punnet squares from high school biology. :D
I think that if the male is recessive, and the female is dominant, in a clutch of 4, you should get at least one violet. If the hen recessive and male recessive, then 1/6 should be? I think that's it. I guess someone with more intelligence when it comes to this would be able to tell you. :)
Violet is a dominant mutation so if the hen is double factor violet the violet will be inherited as single factor by all the chicks if she is mated to a non-violet. If the hen is single factor violet half of the chicks would inherit single factor violet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.