Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a rubbish title but was not sure what else to put lol

I was just wondering apart from lacewings which i'm breeding babies for now are there any other mutations that you create through pairing up different mutations together i have tried to look on the net but not sure how to word it so come up with nothing.

Thanks for any help

Craig

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Most you have to have a bird with the mutation to reproduce :) I know frosted pieds are from clear flight pieds to an extent, but other than that there are none that I know of really.

I made lacewings myself too with cinnnamons and inos, it's a great accomplishment when they appear! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most you have to have a bird with the mutation to reproduce :) I know frosted pieds are from clear flight pieds to an extent, but other than that there are none that I know of really.

I made lacewings myself too with cinnnamons and inos, it's a great accomplishment when they appear! :)
Okay thanks for the info.
I am trying to breed a budgie with the ino & cinnamon gene right now (i did think i had one but no it was really disappointing) so its gonna take a while. One question i have with lacewings though is if the is opaline in there to will it mess up the lacewing mutation?

Thanks again
Craig

·
19,551 Posts
Okay thanks for the info.
I am trying to breed a budgie with the ino & cinnamon gene right now (i did think i had one but no it was really disappointing) so its gonna take a while. One question i have with lacewings though is if the is opaline in there to will it mess up the lacewing mutation?

Thanks again
Craig
What birds are you using? :) it can take quite a long time to get it to come out right, it was about 4 years for me :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

What birds are you using? :) it can take quite a long time to get it to come out right, it was about 4 years for me :)
Well right now i have my Lutino Male with my Opaline Cinnamon Grey not really sure if that will give me what i need but he is the only ino male i have apart from my grey spangle who is split for ino. I did finally get a cinnamon male yesterday but he won't be old enough to breed until at least Sept this year, plus he is a dom pied so didn't think it would help anyway lol

Thanks again
Craig

·
19,551 Posts
Well right now i have my Lutino Male with my Opaline Cinnamon Grey not really sure if that will give me what i need but he is the only ino male i have apart from my grey spangle who is split for ino. I did finally get a cinnamon male yesterday but he won't be old enough to breed until at least Sept this year, plus he is a dom pied so didn't think it would help anyway lol

Thanks again
Craig
Your best bet (unless your ino male is split for cinnamon and you get male cinnamons split for ino which is more ideal) is to keep any male from that pairing since they will all be split ino and cinnamon. Then pair that male to an ino or cinnamon hen. Thats how I got mine :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Your best bet (unless your ino male is split for cinnamon and you get male cinnamons split for ino which is more ideal) is to keep any male from that pairing since they will all be split ino and cinnamon. Then pair that male to an ino or cinnamon hen. Thats how I got mine :)
So if i keep a male from my Lutino male and opaline cinnamon hen then i could pair him up with either my sky blue or violet cinnamon is that right?

I did read somewhere that i shouldn't add violet to the mix but not sure where is this true or does it not matter?

Thanks for all your help with this btw:)

·
19,551 Posts
So if i keep a male from my Lutino male and opaline cinnamon hen then i could pair him up with either my sky blue or violet cinnamon is that right?

I did read somewhere that i shouldn't add violet to the mix but not sure where is this true or does it not matter?

Thanks for all your help with this btw:)
Yes that is correct :) You are hoping that the cinnamon and ino from the male will cross and end up on the same female chick. An even better pairing is a male ino or cinnamon that is split ino or cinnamon.

The mutations I was told not to mix were ones that effected the wing markings like opaline, spangle, pied etc. I have never heard of not mixing violet myself. Hopefully Nev will be along and give you more incite on this subject :)

Your welcome! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes that is correct :) You are hoping that the cinnamon and ino from the male will cross and end up on the same female chick. An even better pairing is a male ino or cinnamon that is split ino or cinnamon.

The mutations I was told not to mix were ones that effected the wing markings like opaline, spangle, pied etc. I have never heard of not mixing violet myself. Hopefully Nev will be along and give you more incite on this subject :)

Your welcome! :)
Thanks for the info i was finding it difficult to work out as nearly everything i read was saying different things or contradicting what one of the others were saying lol

·
19,551 Posts
Thanks for the info i was finding it difficult to work out as nearly everything i read was saying different things or contradicting what one of the others were saying lol
I know it was confusing for me too. There are different ways of doing things and lots of opinions on it. That is just the way I did it :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I bred my lacewings from cinnamons & inos. First I mated a cinnamon **** to an ino hen and saved 3 normal male chicks that were split for both mutations. These split cocks were mated to cinnamon hens and two of them produced lacewing female chicks in their first season.

I prefer using cinnamon or normal hens because if ino hens are used the lacewing chicks are hard to identify in the nest. Avoid any mutations that will reduce the wing markings. There should be no problem adding violet or grey

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bred my lacewings from cinnamons & inos. First I mated a cinnamon **** to an ino hen and saved 3 normal male chicks that were split for both mutations. These split cocks were mated to cinnamon hens and two of them produced lacewing female chicks in their first season.

I prefer using cinnamon or normal hens because if ino hens are used the lacewing chicks are hard to identify in the nest. Avoid any mutations that will reduce the wing markings. There should be no problem adding violet or grey
Thanks im still on the look out for a cinnamon **** as the only one i have is a dom pied but i do have one that is split cinnamon so i might have to breed one myself as im finding it hard to find one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.