Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are thinking of breeding Oliver and Lace some time in June and are not entirely sure what we could expect. Could you help us with that and make sure we have our mutations right? Oliver is about 10 months old and Lace is 10 months old also.

Oliver we think is- Olive green, Double Factor Yellow Face, Violet, Opaline
Picture from today! He doesn't have any blue under his wing!

Some images from when we first got him!

A month later

And some more pictures from today!

As you can see he has got much lighter after his molt

Lace-Sky Blue, Violet, Opaline, Dominant Pied split Recessive

And Oliver and Lace Together

·
Going Bird-Crazy
2,444 Posts
Sorry, I just saw this! They look like a very good pair but......

They are way too young! It's sorta like having a baby at 20! They need to be at least a year and a half old! In a couple of months they can have chicks. A such a young age, it's not too healthy! And it's too hard on their young little bodies.

I am not sure about their mutations so, hopefully someone else could help you out!

Hope you decide not to breed yet! :D

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I just saw this! They look like a very good pair but......

They are way too young! It's sorta like having a baby at 20! They need to be at least a year and a half old! In a couple of months they can have chicks. A such a young age, it's not too healthy! And it's too hard on their young little bodies.

I am not sure about their mutations so, hopefully someone else could help you out!

Hope you decide not to breed yet! :D
It's some times better to breed them at one and a half, but most experts on breeding say they only have to be a year to have their first clutch. Lace will be a year in June when we said we were planning on breeding them, and Oliver will also be greater then a year. I'm glad you care about the birds.

Also does anybody know their mutations and breeding outcome?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Oliver is definitely not a double factor yellow face because the yellow spreads very little on double factors. I don't think he is single factor yellow face either. He looks like an olive green. Dark green and olive chicks often have blueish feathers, it doesn't mean they are yellow face blues. He is opaline

Lace is opaline dominant pied sky blue. It it usual for a violet sky blue to to look more like a cobalt so I don't think she is violet. A slightly purple flush around the neck is not necessarily violet. She is very beautiful

If Oliver is not split for blue you can expect:
50% opaline dark green
50% opaline dominant pied dark green

If Oliver is split for blue:
25% opaline dark green
25% opaline cobalt
25% opaline dominant pied dark green
25% opaline dominant pied cobalt

If both birds are split for recessive pied
37.5% opaline
12.5% opaline recessive pied
37.5% opaline dominant pied
12.5% opaline dominant pied recessive pied combination

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oliver is definitely not a double factor yellow face because the yellow spreads very little on double factors. I don't think he is single factor yellow face either. He looks like an olive green. Dark green and olive chicks often have blueish feathers, it doesn't mean they are yellow face blues. He is opaline

Lace is opaline dominant pied sky blue. It it usual for a violet sky blue to to look more like a cobalt so I don't think she is violet. A slightly purple flush around the neck is not necessarily violet. She is very beautiful

If Oliver is not split for blue you can expect:
50% opaline dark green
50% opaline dominant pied dark green

If Oliver is split for blue:
25% opaline dark green
25% opaline cobalt
25% opaline dominant pied dark green
25% opaline dominant pied cobalt

If both birds are split for recessive pied
37.5% opaline
12.5% opaline recessive pied
37.5% opaline dominant pied
12.5% opaline dominant pied recessive pied combination
Thank you so much for your help! We were thinking she was a single factor violet since her mom is violet and 4 out of 6 from last years clutch were very clearly violet. Here is a pic of Bell Lace's Mom

You can also go her for pics of the family. Sadly we couldn't find a good older pic of the youngest baby so were not sure if she was showing violet.
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=70867

·
3,676 Posts
We were thinking she was a single factor violet since her mom is violet and 4 out of 6 from last years clutch were very clearly violet.
Even if both parents are single factor violet about 25% of the chicks won't inherit the violet

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What if Mom is a double factor violet since Dad doesn't appear to have any violet? Could you post a pic of a sky blue violet? Also, Oliver has a small patch of clear feathers on his head, what do you think this is caused by? Or is it nothing? Also if you had a clear flight pied and a bird that is split recessive pied, could you get any dark eyed clears? Thanks so much for all your help already!
Here is a pic of Dad

·
3,676 Posts
What if Mom is a double factor violet since Dad doesn't appear to have any violet? Could you post a pic of a sky blue violet? Also, Oliver has a small patch of clear feathers on his head, what do you think this is caused by? Or is it nothing? Also if you had a clear flight pied and a bird that is split recessive pied, could you get any dark eyed clears?
If the Mom was double factor violet and the Dad was not violet all the chicks would be single factor violet. But if the Mom was single factor violet only half of the chicks would inherit the single factor violet

The picture you posted of Bell looks very typical of a single factor sky blue violet

The patch on Oliver's could mean that he is split for recessive pied but as he is opaline it might not mean anything

You could only get a dark eyed clear from a clearflight pied mated to a bird that was split for recessive pied if the clearflight pied was also split for recessive pied

·
Going Bird-Crazy
2,444 Posts
It's some times better to breed them at one and a half, but most experts on breeding say they only have to be a year to have their first clutch. Lace will be a year in June when we said we were planning on breeding them, and Oliver will also be greater then a year. I'm glad you care about the birds.

Also does anybody know their mutations and breeding outcome?
Okay good, ones better than anything younger!:D sorry, I have no knowledge in mutations!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.