Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Can anyone (Nev and Dean come to mind:) tell me what the expected outcome would be of breeding a male Cobalt to a female albino?

Thank you!

·
Registered
458 Posts
If the Cobalt is not split Albino, you'll get 100% normal blues, all males split for albino. Plus, unless you know what the Albino is masking, if anything, you can get a whole heap of suprises. (Spangles, Pieds, etc, for instance)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The albino hen could be masking anything - meaning her albino removes all colouring, so we cant tell what other mutations she could have.

We can tell that she would be a blue bird, and unless the **** is split for ino, all your chicks will be normals (males will be split for albino).

You may get sky blues, cobalts or possibly mauves depending on the dark factor of the hen. And if she has any dominant mutations such as spangle or dominant pied, this may show in some of the chicks as well.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
As Dean has said it depends on the dark factor of the hen and what mutations the albino mutation is masking. The only thing you can be sure about is that the chicks will all be blue series. If you know the parentage of the albino it would help

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Dean has said it depends on the dark factor of the hen and what mutations the albino mutation is masking. The only thing you can be sure about is that the chicks will all be blue series. If you know the parentage of the albino it would help
Thanks you guys. I don't have an albino but I was thinking that I might look for an albino hen for my cobalt male if I decide to breed him. In my area there are few breeders, I have been relying on a reputable bird shop in my area. I did get the male from a different breeder and they were fine but they didn't know the parents of the baby birds. I did just contact another breeder who I may be able to get something from.

What are good choices to breed a Cobalt male to?

Vicki

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I where you I would breed him with another cobalt so your outcomes will be....

25%skyblue normal
50%colbalt normal
25%mauve normal

hope this helps!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I where you I would breed him with another cobalt so your outcomes will be....

25%skyblue normal
50%colbalt normal
25%mauve normal

hope this helps!
Thank you! I prefer pieds though, so maybe I should consider a pied? Because these would all be solid right? What is the correct term for a solid bird? Normal?

Thanks again,
Vicki

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.