Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to do another breeding set. I am looking for Lutinos, spangles, males/split for cinnamon, and greys. I can set up to 4 pairs. I'm not sure on who to pair with who. If you could help that would be awesome. Thanks

Bebe dominant pied cobalt

Firecracker (son of Princess and Tweety (RIP)) Normal Green split for albino, opaline, and dominant pied

Pepper Dominant pied spangle

Dewey Normal greygreen with one dark factor

Mango opaline greywing grey green

Hope double factor recessive pied

Laqueesha type 2 yellow face grey cinnamon dominant pied

Butter yellow face 2 grey dominant pied greywing

Princess Albino

Kiwi type 2 yellow-face opaline greywing sky blue

Faith Double factor dominant pied

Pickles Normal yellow face type 1

Flash (daughter of Princess and Tweety (RIP)) Normal Opaline Green

And one question. Is it possible to go from a grey spangle to green spangles?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
grey spangle to green spangles - yes. if the grey is split for blue and bred with a green then you could get green spangles. if hte grey is not split for blue you would get greygreen spangles.

i have a couple of things to clarify:
firecracker - can't be split for dom pied, did you mean rec pied?
do you realise pepper is also opaline?
dewey appears to be a grey yf2 rather than a grey green...

now,
lutinos - the only option is see for lutinos is princess and firecracker... but thats a mother son mating.
put pepper with anything and you will get spangles, put him with hope to aim for green spangles.
laqueesha with any male to get males split cinnamon, if this is a step towards lacewings then i would use firecraker.
for greys pair two greys up, or a grey with a blue, or even a greygreen with a blue or grey may give you some...

hope that helps.

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for clarifying their mutations. Firecracker's dad was dominant pied and was bred to Faith and had double factor dominant pieds and dominant pieds along with opalines and albinos. I was told that if I bred him with a yellow based female I would get lutinos.

And I wasn't sure on Dewey, he sometimes has an olive green color to his chest so I wasn't sure.

And looking at Pepper now, he does look Opaline, I must have over looked that.

I wasn't really looking for lacewings. I love the cinnamon's, spangle's and lutino's so that is what I'm going for. And I know I can only get males split. So saying that I was thinking Pepper and Flash, Laqueesha and Dewey, and Firecracker and Butter. I can have another pair so who should I pair with to get colors I wouldn't with the ones I just listed? Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
oh yes, firecraker would produce lutino babies with a green series hen.... missed that somehow! if you want lutinos rather than albinos i would put firecracker with a green, say hope, rather than butter. but with butter you could still get lutinos and could also get yf2 albinos.

maybe bebe with pickles for blue dom pied yf2s?
if you like inos i would breed princess again in case anything happens to firecracker...

they are all lovely adn you certainly have a nice mix to choose from, how about putting a pair of greywings together?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I agree with Toni's mutation clarifications.
You have lots of options and I’m sure you’ll get some beautiful chicks no matter how you pair them

Firecracker mated to any blue based hen would give you some albino & lutino females. If he was mated to a green based hen you’d get more lutinos

If Pepper is single factor grey, paired with Flash would produce blue, grey, grey green & green opalines & opaline spangles

If you want some normal spangles Pepper paired with Pickles would produce some male spangles

Dewey paired with either Laqueesha or Butter would produce grey & yellow face grey dominant pieds & normals (and maybe some blue)

Hope (recessive pied), Laqueesha (cinnamon), Kiwi (opaline) & Princess (ino), would all require a mate with genes for their mutations to reproduce their mutations

If Faith is double factor dominant pied she will produce dominant pieds with any mate

Any of Laqueesha’s male chicks will be spit for cinnamon

I would probably pair Mango with Butter to produce greywings. Some would be dominant pied & the females would be opaline

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys. Hope is a male so would there be a better green based female for him to breed with?

I already bred greywings with Kiwi and Mango and they weren't really a big hit.

I went ahead and paired Princess with Bebe for males split for ino but would they produce blues? Then Firecracker and Butter, Dewey and Laqueesha, and Pepper and Flash. I love spangles so thats what i'm going for. So I'll stick with that for this time. They are all kissing besides Pepper and Flash but he is chasing her around.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
priness and bebe will produce all blues.

if hope is a male then the only green hen you have is flash. she would be good for lutinos with firecracker, or what about a yf (kiwi) for the chance of lutinos, albinos and yf albinos?

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flash and Firecracker are brother/sister so I wouldn't do that. Firecracker seems to like Butter a lot so I'll stick with that. could those 2 also produce YF albinos? or just lutinos? Thanks so much

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
fire cracker is split for blue and butter is a blue series so you could get lutinos, albinos and yf albinos...

half the hen chicks could be inos, half could be opaline.
you will prob get some dom pieds and yellow faces too
some grey greens, greys, and probably greens and blue possible too if butter is not df grey.

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Firecracker and Flash are brother/sister so I won't do that.

So these are the pairs I have together to bond

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
780 Posts
Jen -
Ginkgo says to tell you that Kiwi and Mango's greywing babies were a big hit! (he's even prettier now that he's gone through a molt - and he loves taking baths! :) )

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jen -
Ginkgo says to tell you that Kiwi and Mango's greywing babies were a big hit! (he's even prettier now that he's gone through a molt - and he loves taking baths! :) )

Aww thanks :) he is beautiful and his daddy loves baths too! :)

So Tonic how long do you let your budgies bond before you set the nest box up? Lately I haven't had a hit with anyone yet. These pairs are bonded and grooming each other. Laqueesha, Butter, Pepper, and Flash are new to it and don't know what to do. Is there any way to help encourage them into the box? Princess and Bebe won't have a problem at all. Firecracker has been a dad before and Dewey just had eggs with a female. So any advice? I haven't had slow pairs like this before. My first few took to it right away. Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i am not sure of how your setup works but...

my birds lived in an aviary. when they started to come into breeding condition i set up the breeding cage with a nest box ready to go. when they looked really in condition, (especially the hen - active, cere dark and crusty, chewing stuff) i would put the hen into the breeding cage on her own so she could explore, find the nest and get the 'nesting time' enthusiasm going. then i put the **** in a couple of days later.

usually the hen was keen to go by then, and the cocks were happy to find an enthusiastic hen.... but you know how individual they are, sometimes they just have other ideas and want other mates, so sometimes i gave them a while then returned them to the aviary and tried again later in the season or with other partners.

i think the couple of days separation can increase the urge to get to business once they are together again. the breeding cages were always right by the aviary so the hens were not suddenly on their own, they could still see and talk to their friends easily.

anything there you think may help?

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks :) I never knew the whole hen first thing. I heard it but didn't know why it helped. I will do that. Their breeding cages are across the room from the flight cage still in sight. Right now they are bonding the their breeding cage without the nest box that way they aren't suddenly in a different cage when I put the box up. So should take the male away when i put the box on? Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if they are set up in there together i would just leave them in and add the box when you are ready.

maybe some of the others could share how they do the setting up?

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. and that would be cool to see how everyone does it. Before with my pairs that were ready I just put them in the cage with the box on already and they took right to it. These guys have to be difficult :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
seems to be a general principle of life.... just when you think you have something going well someone changes the system!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I totally agree! There always has to be the ones that want to do things different lol.

For myself I have all the pairs in flight cages unless they are breding... then I decide which ones I want to pair and wait for them to start showing signs of starting to come into condition. Once they start showing the smallest signs I usually pair them up in breeding cages so in a few weeks when they are really in condition they have hopefully bonded and are ready to go. Then I put the nest boxes on and eggs are on the way!

Another thing to remember too especially when you have pairs that get right down to it is to wait atleast 2 weeks after you put a pair in breeding cages alone with eachother to put up a nest box and encourage them to lay eggs if you are wanting specific colors from your pair... you might have high hopes of having some lutino\albino chicks from your split ino male but if your hen has been umm... busy... while in the flight cage she might have a different male in mind as the father of her next clutch and suprise instead you have lots of opaline girls! lol. Just something to keep in mind :D

·
Budgie
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks on your input of how you do it also :) I saw a thread recently where someone had strange babies out of their pair and it could have been from another daddy in the flock :p These guys have been in the breeding cages for about 2 or 3 weeks now. One pair it has only been 1 week so they will all have tgo wait :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.