Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So, I recently bought a white Lacewing hen and I was interested in breeding her to my yellow and green pied Budgie.

But I wanted to know...Is it possible for me to get an albino or lutino out of this mix? I've heard that lacewings carry the ino gene but it's been mutated due to the cinnamon gene. Or would I get a yellow lacewing? Or pied babies?

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't believe it is possible to get lacewings or any ino's out of that pair. The ino gene is attached to the 'x' chromosone, of which males have 2 and female have 1. If their chicks are male, the most they could be is split to ino. There is no chance of female ino chicks, as they would take the 'Y' from the mother, rather than the 'X'. If you have an ino male though, you have a good chance.

Depending on whether or not the male is a dominant pied, you would likely get either green or green pied chicks. They could be split for cinnamon, also.

Don't necessarily take my word for this though as I'm still learning :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey guys!

So, I recently bought a white Lacewing hen and I was interested in breeding her to my yellow and green pied Budgie.

But I wanted to know...Is it possible for me to get an albino or lutino out of this mix? I've heard that lacewings carry the ino gene but it's been mutated due to the cinnamon gene. Or would I get a yellow lacewing? Or pied babies?
The ino gene in lacewings hasn't been "mutated" by the cinnamon gene. A lacewing is simply a combination of traits, similar to a rainbow budgie. A lacewing has both the ino gene and the cinnamon gene.

Both ino and cinnamon are sex-linked traits, which means both of the genes are on the hen's Z chromosome. Birds have different sex chromosomes than humans. Hens are ZW and cocks are ZZ. Sex linked traits are on the Z chromosome and are recessive, so hens need only one copy of the gene to show the trait, while cocks need 2 copies of the gene. The girls will get their Z chromosome from their dad, and the boys will get a Z from each. So the babies of these two won't produce any lacewings, inos, or cinnamons, but all the boys will be carriers for ino and cinnamon. The ino and cinnamon genes are on the same chromosome, so they will be passed on together. The babies of the boys will either be lacewing, or be neither ino nor cinnamon.

You might get pied babies, it depends on the kind of pied mutation the **** has, and if the hen is carrying a pied gene.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
All the males would be split for lacewing. You would not get any inos, cinnamons, or lacewings unless the dad is split for one of them. :) make sense?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oohhh, so to get a lacewing or ino I'd have to breed this pair and then breed their (male) babies?

And as for the possibilities...If they aren't pied, what will they be? I think Yella is recessive pied, if that helps.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
They would all be normal greens unless yella is split to blue. If yella carries blue, they'd be half blue, half greens.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah Yella is recessive pied. You might get some pied babies if the lacewing hen is carrying a recessive pied gene. Otherwise all the babies will look normal but be carrying a recessive pied gene.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.