Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to make sense of the Punnett squares and everything, but all of this just flew right over my head! What colors will the baby budgies of this pair turn out to be?

This is the mom:

And this is the dad:

He's the one on the right. ^^ Please help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Green is dominant if she isn't split to blue you'll get all green split to blue
I always assume that the green budgies are split to blue, because nowadays almost nobody does crossings between pure lines, and since that's the most probable way to have homozigous greens,we'll assume that here.

So, in that case, if you're hen is split to blue, you'll have 50% for the green and 50% for the blue. If not, you've got a straight 100% probability of having green... The good thing (for me that like blueish ones :D) is that every single green of you're crossing is going to be split for blue.

G

·
The hen is opaline dominant pied dark green while the **** is normal skyblue as far as I can see the pictures here.

Assuming neither hen nor **** has any hidden mutations, their offspings would consist of :

- 50% darkgreen and 50% lightgreen (all split for blue)
- 50% dominant pieds and 50% normals
- all males split for opaline

Assuming hen is split for blue and **** is not split for any mutations, their offsprings consist of :

- 25% darkgreen, 25% cobalt, 25% lightgreen and 25% skyblue (all green chicks for be split for blue)
- 50% dominant pieds and 50% normals
- all males split for opaline

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I always assume that the green budgies are split to blue, because nowadays almost nobody does crossings between pure lines, and since that's the most probable way to have homozigous greens,we'll assume that here.

So, in that case, if you're hen is split to blue, you'll have 50% for the green and 50% for the blue. If not, you've got a straight 100% probability of having green... The good thing (for me that like blueish ones :D) is that every single green of you're crossing is going to be split for blue.
Really? that's odd we have all kinds of Green based budgies here that are not split to blue at all we can find them being split to everything known to man (that they can be split for) But we can still get 100% green series birds with no splits to blues

I'm really really really hoping the Lutino my friend gave me is split to blue Because I'm putting him with an Albino and I want both Albino and Lutino babies but she's bred him once to a normal blue Dominant pied hen and got green pied babies so my hopes are no doubt already shattered lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.