Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my first bird Skylar passed away so quickly on the 16th, I recently got a new bird named Melody! This time I didn't make the mistake of not taking her to the vet when i noticed something was "off", and it turns out I bought her with a respiratory infection. However, to get her vet care I returned her to the store and I don't get her back until 2 weeks after shes healed up and done with her rounds of medication. Are there any special steps I should take for her return? I don't wanna get her home and accidentally make her sick again.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I once bought a budgie from a shop that guaranteed they would take the bird back within 7 days if there were any problems. Maybe you can find a shop that also does that.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've never heard of a shop taking back a bird and treating it to take home again! I wonder where they keep the budgie and who actually treats it with its meds?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yeah! I have a 30 day warranty with her. I opted for them to treat her instead of taking her back ^^ just wondering if any of the experts have some good advice for her return!

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
I'd wash down all the cage, perches, food and water dishes and toys with white vinegar before Melody comes back home since you had her in the cage for a short while before she went back to the shop for treatment.

Ensure her cage isn't where she's in any drafts and think about adding ACV to her drinking water to boost her immune system.

http://talkbudgies.com/holistic-natural-remedies-[articles]/103936-apple-cider-vinegar.html

If you live in a very dry climate, be sure the humidity in the room where Melody will be living is adequate as moisture in the air will help keep her airways clear. Dust and pollen bond with the moisture and drop to the floor rather than circulating around in the air so much. ;)

If you choose to use a warm mist humidifier to enhance the humidity, you can either use a drop of eucalyptus oil in the water or a bit of "Vicks" vaporub.

·
Administrator
55,566 Posts
You're very welcome, Trisha!

I'll be looking forward to seeing some "welcome home" pictures of Melody once you have her back and all settled in. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.