Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I’ve noticed some broody behavior between Kiwi (male) and Tofu (female). I’ve discouraged it when I feel their going a little too far, I keep anything away that could be seen as nesting materials or dark spots to nests in and I’ve shortened their bedtimes now that the days are longer and warmer. I’ve noticed Tofu’s cere going a darker shade of brown too when it was white before like marshmallows which means she’s in condition I think? Tofu isn’t really doing much but I’ve noticed kiwi trying to mate with his toys, specifically a blue perch I have in their cage (which I found kinda odd), and I’m worried things may go down when I’m not around. I don’t feel I can correctly take care of baby birds, but I’m also on the fence on what to do. I don’t wanna separate them because they’re extremely close, since day one their each other’s little potatoes, but I know just because I discourage it, don’t give them any material, and shorten their bed times, they could still possibly do it when I’m not around. I don’t wanna cause any emotional distress for either of them and not quite sure how to handle it any advice would be extremely helpful

My biggest concern is Tofu becoming egg bound honestly, I wouldn’t know how to handle that and I’m still trying to find a reliable avian vet near me

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
Please take a look at this if you have not already seen it When We Don't Want Eggs! make sure your birds always have a source of calcium via a cuttle bone and mineral block.

·
Super Moderator
19,340 Posts
As mentioned above, there's no reason to encourage breeding or let them mate as that also can be prevented with the right steps. Please be sure to read the links above for more information :)

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
I wouldn't separate them if they're close without aggression. It's alright to let them mate, I would just suggest taking the eggs away from them and throwing them away as soon as she lays her eggs.
This is NOT good information.

It is BEST for the budgies that they never breed. Budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.

To the Original Poster of this thread (small birbs) Please follow the advice of our staff - not other members who have neither the knowledge or experience to be offering advice when they have no idea how this forum is run.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the resources and advice! My man concerns are egg binding and I simply don’t think I have the ability to care for not only baby birds but my birds already, I feel the potential health problems outweigh the good. I’ll be looking into ways to discourage it and hopefully help with the broodiness cause I can definitely tell they’re hormonal. In the end I just want them to be happy and healthy honestly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.