Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I would love some info about our 5month old budgie. She has gone through her first molt and her cap has turned white. My question is about Her cere. It has slowly started to turn crusty brown in the middle. I know that females eventually have this happen. Is almost 6 months of age normal? She cere never turned tan. It went from light blue with white rings to dark, crusty brown.

Attachments

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Hi! I would love some info about our 5month old budgie. She has gone through her first molt and her cap has turned white. My question is about Her cere. It has slowly started to turn crusty brown in the middle. I know that females eventually have this happen. Is almost 6 months of age normal? She cere never turned tan. It went from light blue with white rings to dark, crusty brown.
Yes, it's normal. Female budgies usually start to get the first tan on their ceres by the time they reach 6 months old. The tanning process may begin a bit sooner than 6 months, though. It all depends on the bird itself.
They get the dark brown crusty looking ceres when in breeding condition. When they go out of breeding condition, the ceres will revert to the creamy white colour.
I also see a light tan colour coming up on the whitish part of the cere. Soon your budgie will have the dark brown colour evenly spread on the cere.

Reactions: despoinaki

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Hi there, I replied more elaborately on your other post, you can check it out.
The short answer is yes, it's normal. There is no reason for worries. :)

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
My male was an early bloomer - completely developed and in condition at 6 months of age. However, his brain is still that of a cantankerous two year old child. ;)

Reactions: despoinaki

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
I agree, your little girl is perfectly normal :)

I have had budgies as young as 3 months go into breeding condition, and this is especially when they are raised in an aviary/flight flock setting after being moved from the breeding cage.

P.S. I have merged your two threads/posts into one so you can see all of the responses to your questions :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.