Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help me Ive got a brown budgie baby. It has a light Grey/blue mauve on its back between its wings and a very pale fawn colour to rest of its body, head wings and tail are brown, i know u can get Cinnamon winged but this is a lot darker brown plus head and tail. My first question is Ive never seen anything like it before nor can i find any info on the net about one, is this rare? and second what would this variety be called is this the rare Brownwing? please see picture. Im aware there are many cinnamon mutations and wing paterns but in 30 years of breading as far as ive ever seen its never included in tail feathers hence why its called cinnamon winged, this is what makes this bird so different. it does not have red eyes if any thing they are deep brown not black in certain light but there is a greyish tone to the white in its wings. i dont believe its cinnamon winged however there are differences from the what ive heard or read about brownwing can anyone help identify.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Wow, that is really brown and beautiful! Your little one is so cute and fluffy! I can't help with your question but I am sure someone will be along shortly who can!

Lisa

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Beautiful baby! A brownwing will have red eyes (I believe). A faded will have red eyes that darken and no iris ring as well as pink feet and legs. I have no idea what your baby is besides beautiful. What are the parents?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said in my opening statment i dont believe its a cinnamon 30 years of breeding experience shouts that fact at me.

Budgie Varieties with Brown Markings

There are three budgie varieties with brown markings that you are likely to come across. This means the stripes on the head, down over the neck and the wing markings are a shade of brown instead of black.

Cinnamon
The throat spots, wing markings and barring on a cinnamon budgie are a lovely warm brown shade. The color on the body is reduced to a paler shade than normal (maybe ½ as dark), and the feet and legs are pink rather than grey. The long tail feathers are the usual color but the quill is brownish. As chicks cinnamon budgies have dark plum colored eyes, but these darken as they grow until it is difficult to distinguish from a normal black eye. The cere is the same color as in normal birds.
Cinnamon budgies usually have a lovely soft look to their body feathers which combines with their pale markings to make them very attractive. In the image above there is a cinnamon skyblue yellow face blue hen and a normal skyblue yellow face blue hen, they are sisters. You can see the difference in markings color and the strength of the blue.

Fallow
Fallows are one of the budgie varieties with brown markings similar to cinnamons though the tail is more of a greyish brown than the cinnamons dark blue. The body color is much lighter than cinnamons, looking whitish blue or yellowish green. Fallows also have red eyes, pink legs and feet and the beak is orange in color. The cere in fallows also differs from cinnamons and normals. The adult hens are the usual brown but the adult cocks cere is a flesh colored.
There are in fact several fallows types; the german fallow, japanese fallow, australian fallow, english fallow and scottish fallow. The most common two are the english and german, they look the same except for the eyes. The german fallows have a darker red eye with a white iris ring. The english have paler red eyes with a similar color iris ring, so it appears they have solid red eyes.

Lacewing
A lacewing has brown markings that are paler than either cinnamon or fallow, and a pale brown tail. The most obvious difference between them and the other varieties with brown markings is the fact that they have either yellow or white body color. They have lost the green or blue shade almost totally. So they are very pretty and distinctive birds.
They have red eyes with the usual white iris ring, fleshy pink feet and legs, and the adult **** has a flesh colored cere. The other thing to note is that the violet cheek patches of lacewings are usually quite a pale shade of violet. The tail should not have the grey/bluye shade that fallows have.

Brownwing
This variety is so rare you are unlikely to see one. It was believed extinct, has popped up again occasionally but is not safely established as yet.
From what I have been able to learn, this variety has brown markings, it has red eyes at hatching similar to an ino and develops an iris ring as an adult that remains brownish and is not very obvious.

The body color is not diluted, so it has brown markings with a normal colored body.

taken from this site none of the above match this bird as i can see

http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-varieties-with-brown-markings.html

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
The depth of cinnamon can vary greatly from bird to bird, some look almost black. It looks diluted to me personally a bit in the pics compared to a normal grey so that's why said cinnamon grey. If you could take a front pic that would be helpful as all I see is a grey body and slightly brown looking markings. What color are the cheek patches?

I am sure Nev will be along to tell you for sure :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok ill wait till can get local Guys to check it in person as i said 30 years experience think i know what cinnamon noraml grey is but thanks anyway lyndsey for your opinon.

·
19,551 Posts
ok ill wait till can get local Guys to check it in person as i said 30 years experience think i know what cinnamon normal grey is but thanks anyway lyndsey for your opinon.
That is a great idea! It is so much easier to see true colors in person I know pictures do not always show true. Like I said thats just what I see in the pics myself, and after 17 years I still feel like I know nothing compaired to what I would like to as there is so to learn. There are others with much more experience than me here Nev is one of the best that will be able to tell you more :) I am sure there is something different considering your experience that does not show in the pics.

RIPbudgies is the only one I know on this forum that breeds Brownwings, maybe you could get her to have a look at the chick as she would be able to tell you for sure on that account?

I hope we will get to see some pics of her when she feathers up and if you find out anything more :)

·
Registered
255 Posts

That is a great idea! It is so much easier to see true colors in person I know pictures do not always show true. Like I said thats just what I see in the pics myself, and after 17 years I still feel like I know nothing compaired to what I would like to as there is so to learn. There are others with much more experience than me here Nev is one of the best that will be able to tell you more :) I am sure there is something different considering your experience that does not show in the pics.

RIPbudgies is the only one I know on this forum that breeds Brownwings, maybe you could get her to have a look at the chick as she would be able to tell you for sure on that account?

I hope we will get to see some pics of her when she feathers up and if you find out anything more :)
I would have said cinnamon too. I am interested to see what nev says.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Without the presence of red eyes, I also would have said cinnamon grey. My cinnamon grey's markings were so dark brown it took a while to figure out his mutation. Guess we will all just wait.

·
19,551 Posts
Without the presence of red eyes, I also would have said cinnamon grey. My cinnamon grey's markings were so dark brown it took a while to figure out his mutation. Guess we will all just wait.
I agree completely, a few of mine you can barely tell they are cinnamons and they have the same color to their tail feathers when mixed with the grey :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I have answered this question on another forum.
I originally thought that the chick was just a grey cinnamon but in view of the fact that thunderchild (lea) is a very experienced breeder I think that there must be something that we are not seeing in the pictures. Most cinnamons have dark blue tail feathers but a grey cinnamon would have a dark grey tail, but of course there are always some that don't conform exactly. I have not had any experience with the brownwing mutation

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.