Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since owning Bucky for about a month, I’ve had to vacuum a lot more - typically around his cage on the floor with a hand vacuum to suck up all the seeds, feathers he’s preened, etc.

When the vacuum is on, it’s like he goes wild and chirps happily.

Is this normal? Or maybe he’s scared? He doesn’t come across as scared, though. Is there an alternative to vacuuming that’s Budgie friendly?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,583 Posts
I think he just loves the noises 🤣 my girl usually chirps when the vacuum is on too, though she gets a little nervous while I’m going around under her cage. But I chirp to her and she relaxes haha. Sounds like he likes the loudness!

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
My budgies all love the vacuum as well. They try to make more noise than the vacuum does.
They love to take baths after the vacuuming is done. I guess want to be clean too! LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine are ambivalent towards the vacuum, but will freak out if they're in the cage whilst I'm vacuuming. They much prefer being let out and flying to the highest perch, and then will preen / doze off whilst I vacuum. I think being high up makes them feel safe.

But yeah, I'm glad the vacuum doesn't scare them. Makes tidying a lot easier and less stressful.

·
Registered
Iris and Dawn
39 Posts
It's perfectly normal! Budgies love all kinds of noise, especially those repeated buzzing sounds; I suspect it reminds them of the noise a large flock of budgies produces in the wild.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine's been with me less than a week, still in the "I'm poofed up, everything startles me, and I'm not being social" phase. Had to vacuum, and I couldn't believe it.. instead of freaking out, he simply remained poofed up and chirped here and there! After the vacuuming, he even tried to take a bath in the tiny water cup! I would give him a proper bathing dish, but everything seems to scare him so first things first, just allowing acclimation to the environment before introducing new things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts