Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the male, i am not completely sure if he is actually opaline. but it looks like it to me(i am no professional though!!)
He is blue based, no pied but possible split(white around vent?)
The male also looks to be split to violet(if it is possible) He has a very dark violet colored patch on his chest, and tail.

The female though, Oh my god she is beautiful! she is NOT a green budgie though. Unless she is severely diluted!
I believe she is a yellowface2 blue, She is very light seagreen almost, but it is bluish green this is what leads me to believe she is yellowface2 because of the green tint to her.
She also has these VERY silvery fawn/cinnamon type markings where it would be black. All of her body shows these, there isn't a black marking on her! she is very diluted but not pied as far as i know.

Can anyone help me out? i will try to find a picture of what she looks like, she is my neighbors bird and i am getting one of the chicks(6 eggs two pinkies already!) and i would like to know mutation outcomes. Any help? can anyone tell me what splits would look like? I am new to budgies

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What Mutations would the babies be? will they be split to yellowface if possible? what do splits look like?
sorry for all the questions!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Without a photo so we can see the correct mutations proper predictions can't be made.

Just a couple of points:

Budgies cannot be split for violet

Blue budgies cannot be split for yellow face

Split means a mutation that is in the genes but is not visible so the only way to know if it is there is from breeding records

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Most mutations you can't see on a bird they are hidden. Do you now what either of the pairs parents looked like? Ok It would help a lot if you had photos of your birds. But form the descriptions your male is a opaline,blue,violet and your female sounds like a cinnamon, yellow face type two, blue. If this is true you should get...

100% normal males
100% opaline females
You wont have any chicks with visible cinnamon but the male chicks will be split for it.
About half of the chicks will be yellow face and half will be white face.
All the chicks will be blue and maybe violet.

But like I said with out photos I'm not sure if thats true. Good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you, this is why i asked the questions :) What is violet? is it just dark factors? i know mutations of cockatiels and zebra finches, but those both don't have 'dark factors' so i am not sure what it means. The male has a large patch of violet on his chest that smooths into blue on the belly and around the patch gradually.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you're getting a baby from this pair, maybe you can persuade your neighbor to give you a few digital photos of the parents. It sounds as though the pair is busy right now caring for the new babies, so you probably won't be able to take the photos yourself.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Violet works much like dark factor and grey factor in that it is a color additive, it changes the body color of the bird. Violet is not the same mutation as dark factor. Dark factor in blue birds can bee seen in the body colors...

0 dark factor sky blue
1 dark factor cobalt
2 dark factors mauve

Violet comes in single factor (blue with a tint of violet) and double factor is (bright violet) in blue birds.

In green birds it is vary hard to tell if a bird is also violet. It shows as a darkening of the body color. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both parents are blue based. I am positive that momma is a type two yellow face cinnamon. And dad is a single factor violet possibly opaline(maybe) and possible split to pied.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Ok here is an example of an opaline budgie and a normal budgie.
opaline
http://www.***************/v_opaline3.jpg
normal
http://www.***************/i_nonopaline.jpg

If the male is opaline then you will get 100% opaline females if not then you will just get normals. Also if he is split for pied it would be recessive pied. Dominant pied can't be a split. About half of the chicks will be normal and half will be recessive pied. Why do you think he is split for pied? Does he have a pied spot?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is probably a normal blue then, the black spots are very close together in a symmetrical pattern.. i don't remember them being v shaped.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. Also if he is split for pied it would be recessive pied. Dominant pied can't be a split. About half of the chicks will be normal and half will be recessive pied. Why do you think he is split for pied? Does he have a pied spot?
I don't know what a split to pied is for budgies, i only know zebra finches and cockatiels. But he has white around his vent and i think on the back of his head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.