Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2 years old budgie has since yesterday issues with breathing.
He got something in his throat or something.
Also digests alot, and he does peeping sounds and tail bobbing.
After 10-20 minutes he turns normal but yesterday and today it was pretty heavy looking.
I called asap vet he told us to let him eat a banana. If it doesn't help, then we call back.
Is there anything else / tips what to do if it happens?
I'm alot afraid that he is dying, he rests now, ofcourse it takes alot energy.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

· Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
The best thing you can do is have the bird examined by an avian vet, breathing issues can be serious and if the issue has not cleared he needs to be seen in person by the vet.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will call the vet tomorrow, we kept an eye and it's like something is bothering him. He keeps bobbing his head and we hear his peeping breathing. I hope it isn't something bad. Thanks.

· Administrator
60,707 Posts
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

What is the status of your budgie at this time?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

What is the status of your budgie at this time?
Hi Faery,

At this point we have taken a antibiotica from the vet, he said that the budgie was just vomiting and looked very healthy and well, he complimented. The antibiotica needs 2x in a day, 3 drops of antibiotica in their beak.

But it was kinda strange because we have 1 younger female albino budgie with him. And before this budgie (2-3years) did this vomiting, it started kinda with the younger ones before. She then stopped doing it and now he does it. Which is kinda weird but we keep an eye if he and she do not heal from the antibiotica then we will maybe bring it to the vet to find out what it is. Because it shouldn't be something like it would spread since it's just vomiting. He adviced us to look 5 days, if its still vomiting we will have to bring and check.

The younger ones did feed my older budgie sometimes, maybe it was infected? No clue but for now they do a bit more better than before. We showed only the oldest budgie but since the youngest did too we gave her also antibiotica. I hope they will heal or yeah as I said we will bring one of them to check what's happening.

Thanks for asking.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He had today again a heavy vomiting, it's like something with his crop.. I guess imma call tomorrow vet again and see. Any suggestions what it could be? Like what names or information? some symptoms what he does:

• making a long neck and opening beak widely few seconds with closing eyes
  • vomiting (like sneezing sounds and shaking his head alot)
  • eyes closed mostlikely due tired and annoyed perhaps
  • he does kinda look ill rn, but he talked a bit after vomiting
  • tail bobbing
  • pretty queit / coming closer to me everytime, like its giving you a hug
  • hearing peeping noises from his nostrils or something, might be breathing..

If anyone knows some tips what to do at this kind of situations, would be nice. I almost fainted aswell due I cannot bare this kind of pain, I everytime think he will be dying which is giving me anxiety.. I gave him a bit of water and he was during the vomiting still wanting to eat which is to me a really little fighter and does his best to heal, but I just don't know what to do. I can do nothing than rather wait till it is over I am afraid.

If you know what kind of disease it could be, or infection of the crop or something, let me know.
I will make I hope this week a appointment in advance to let it diagnose as well.

· Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
You need to get the bird to a vet asap, in my opinion they should be doing tests to determine if there is a crop infection or something impacted in the crop or a possible sinus infection. An experienced avian vet can tell a lot just by feeling the crop and then doing a gram stain test on a crop swab and perhaps also on the droppings will show if there is an infection in the GI tract. There are medications that can be given to help calm the vomiting but you need to find out the reason for the vomiting first.

· Administrator
60,707 Posts
I agree with Cody 100%.
Only an Avian Veterinarian can give you a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
If the budgie is in pain and suffering then you need to consider his quality of life as well.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. Yes we made now appointment and he will check again the birds togheter now. I asked if the budgies could stay there for diagnoses but for now we bring them both and see what the result will be. I hope it isn't something bad. They both do eat and drink well and look healthy. Except they do barely fly, they did fly around though, but they mostly sit and rest. Let's hope it isn't something bad. I will update further when we are back and look what it could be..
thanks for the information too.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
The vet checked everything and said there was nothing. They did check everything as in beak and stuff. I asked what exactly they did more to help. She explained that she cleaned the crop (inside) with water etc. After that day it went oke-ish. Till 5-6 days, now budgie started again vomit but this time i noticed it was a pile of seeds altogheter of alot seeds and it suprised me how that was even possible. But before and after that alot of wet seeds vomiting everywhere 1-2 seeds nonstop. I will call vet again. He did stop after 10-15 minutes? Im not sure but yeah..

I am wondering what kind of disease or something could cause this which cannot be diagnosed. By the way, the female bird was next to him and kinda was small biting?

And I woke up due i heard flights around. I do think due stress maybe? I keep them now away from each other to spectate budgie.

· Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
Did the vet do any tests on the crop contents, it is not possible to tell if there is a bacterial or fungal problem just by looking. If you heard flying in the cage at night, they were having a night fright, here is some info about that

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did the vet do any tests on the crop contents, it is not possible to tell if there is a bacterial or fungal problem just by looking. If you heard flying in the cage at night, they were having a night fright, here is some info about that
Thank you I will read after this post.
The thing is also, he was with the female budgie togheter. When he fell i opened the blanket and saw that she was light biting (shes young) to him meanwhile he was starting with vomiting.

Now its daylight he seems again very healthy just tired and different kinda feathers. Hmm.. Its very strange.. i think it is maybe due to stress or the cage due it has some black areas the color has been faded.. hmm. Anyway I called vet and I got adviced to call them later at evening for update what the vet will decide whats best.

My budgie uses the food:
Versele-Laga Prestige Premium budgie food.
The one which is in green.
I was also wondering, what is smart to give. Should I buy new kind of budgie food? If yes, which? Also he eets millets sometimes but since few days he doesn't and he vomited so its not due millet.

I just called for result by the way and they informed that its his "food behaviour". I asked what i could do and the person said to buy Harrison drop or something. I will try if that helps and look further. Hopefully he will stop vomiting then. Also, if you got tips what else to feed the budgie let me know. I give sometimes vegtables (like apples any green salad thing and for bathing) aswell but he doesn't really eat it just tastes.

Im looking forward for answers, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts