Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a yellowface very light blue dilute clearwing male budgie which is almost white and a sky blue yellow face female budgies. I have no clue to how budgie genetics work however i am guessing that chicks will be light blue and yellowface. Is this right? What colors do you think are possible with these 2 pairs?

·
Registered
591 Posts
unles they are double factor yellow face, the babies would be 75% yellow face, as they would both also carry the gene for normal coloured face (white) as neither parent has any dark factors all the babies will be sky blue aswell. Dilute and clearwing are recessive as far as i know so unless the female is split or an oftese genes, he chicks will only beplit for them and will not show any of these traits.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A budgie can't be both dilute and clearwing.Can you upload some pictures?
dilutes are the ones that confuse me, as far as i can tel there are three alleles that cotrol this gene, greywing clearwing and dilute (normal allele is dominant overall hence if the bird has one normal gene it will only be split for any of the others)
dilute is recessive whereas the other 2 are co-dominant right?

so in other words:
GW+D, GW+GW will give greywing birds
CW+D, CW+CW will give clearwings
N+N, N+D, N+CW, N+GW = normal bird split for respective mutation
D+D will give dilutes
GW + CW will give full body greywings?

this is what i gathered anyways a bit confusing, so yh you cant have dilute clearwings, but clearwing cuses a dilution of colours anyway right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I do not have a camera at the moment so i cant upload pics. Some of the chicks are already showing signs of blue however, will they be lighter than their sky blue mom? Or the same exact color? 10q for your help

Found a pic similar to my budgie
female budgie similar to this one in color

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I do not have a camera at the moment so i cant upload pics. Some of the chicks are already showing signs of blue however, will they be lighter than their sky blue mom? Or the same exact color? 10q for your help

Found a pic similar to my budgie
This is a yellow face sky white. A white is also known as a dilute. This is a recessive mutation meaning if the other bird is not carrying 2 copies of this gean or is not split for this mutation then the chicks can be split, but will be visually darker.

female budgie similar to this one in color[/QUOTE]

The bird in this photo is a golden face sky. See how the yellow from the face is "bleeding" into the chest. This "bleeding" affect can continue which each molt as the bird ages or it might just stay at this level. As stated above, if this parent is not split for recessive the chicks will look like it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, this means that if the mother does not have recessive dilute genes the chicks will be exactly like their sky blue mom? Am I getting this right?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yes, you are getting it right! although there is always the chance of a recessive or sex linked gene throwing in a surprise.

if the male is very pale he is a dilute rather than a clearwing as they have full body colour but reduced colour markings....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.