Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been working on this for several months now, and finally have it online. I still have a few minor things to add, like credits etc.. but the main content is now working so I thought I'd post it for you all.

The new data includes all the documented mutations from around the world, including the rare ones, all with photo examples. A lot of the data for the information was from the WBO, ABS, BAA and BS standards as well as information from Ghalib Al-Nasser, Ken Yorke, Peter Bergman, Mike Rankin, Clive Hesford, Didier Mervilde, Cyril Rogers, Jeff Attwood, and more. So hopefully it is as accurate and current as possible with the information available at this time from around the world.

Hopefully it will help some people out, and if so than it was worth the research. Enjoy!

Budgerigar Mutations

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
Wow that's alot of great information and I enjoyed seeing pictures of all the beautiful birds. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I had a bit of a read through, some of it is still over my head but it's very comprehensive and the pics are great. Thanks for posting the link!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
that got saved to my favorites :D i know now that my Belle is a Full Body Grey Wing :D the pic you have listed under that looks excatly like her clear down to the one single grey tail feather LOL

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad to help out... I know some seems a bit complex to beginners, I do have some genetic basics articles in my FAQ as well that may help (genetics 101)... but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. However most people, if you're like me, are visual learners and can look at a photo and see enough to tell what type you have regardless if you understand the genetics part or not. I tried to give as detailed descriptions of each one to the best of my ability.

Durring my research I realized just how much misinformation is out there on the net, and my goal was to get all the good information posted in one place. On ones where I wasn't sure the correct info, I contacted some of the leading breeders of those specialties to get the correct data whenever possible or find articles by leading breeders in the field to see what they had found to put the information into mine.

I also am currently working on a genetics inheritance article on how to understand how the genetics portion relates to breeding. (Genetics 102 article that's not published yet).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just read the whole thing! My background is molecular biology, so I find budgie genetics totally fascinating!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few additions to make still, and will be giving photo credits at the bottom as well. Including the melanistic spangle that I'll be adding to this week. But it's mostly done. I know it's a bit long, LOL but there are alot of different mutations once you start getting them all ... more than I ever imagined before I started my research!!

·
6,526 Posts
I have to say though that I'm still just clueless on mutations.:eek: I try to figure out what mine are and I'm still just lost.

·
6,526 Posts
I don't really. I have posted all their pictures before though. I know Opal is an albino and I think Greycie is probably a normal mauve but it just seems like her wings are darker then the pictures I've seen. And then Tweet is some type of Sky Blue, Chirp I don't think is a normal green because she doesn't have the normal tail like the other birds I've seen. And then Chartreuse looks like a dilute green but he's got some type of pied in him also.:S If you want I can post the pictures.

·
Registered
964 Posts
thats an awesome site, i bet youre proud ;)
one little thing i can suggest though, is you should put in that the blackface mutation is actually extinct... the birds were of low genetic health, but at least we know that the blackfaces came from birds with recessive pied ancestors, so we have a vague clue as to how we can get the mutation to pop up again...
personally i was devastated when i found out they had died out :(
they are my top favourite mutation! anthrecites are a close second...

apart from that one little thing i think you have done a super job!
everything is layed out in an easy to understand form, the blurbs are concise and informative and the pictures are great (can never have too many pictures, lol)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
they aren't actually extinct, I know a breeder in Washington who had them until a few weeks ago when his flock was destroyed by a car plowing through his aviary. And I believe his breeder had some as well. So they do exist but they are extremely rare. Just like it was thought that the english brownwing was extinct, however I have this mutuation as do a few other breeders who are trying to repopulate the formerly thought to be extinct mutation.

Susan,

If you send me photos I can try to help you out. :) [email protected] ..or post a new thread with them and I'll take a look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thank you for posting this, bookmarking it for sure :)

However, I had read that violets were actually a little different than you described, is this article not true? (that there are two different ways to get physically identical birds, because the violet can be attached to the dark or light gene)
http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=12367&mode=threaded&pid=196498

ETA: nevermind, sorry, I was looking at the wrong site thinking it was yours

·
Registered
964 Posts
wow... you have blackfaces?
could i see a picture? they are my favourite variety!
interesting that they have popped up again so soon....
i guess you should let people know they are not just in Belgium anymore

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.