Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to ask this question ever since I decided to get another budgie.
Does a budgie's colour series (blue or green) determine how intelligent they are?
I already have a budgie in the blue series (he's mauve) and he's a, how shall I say this? Doofus.
He talks to his seed bell, broccoli, perches etc.
I'm scared to get another blue series budgie, in case I end up with two "not so Einsteins". :D :D :D :D

Please help!

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
Sorry for laughing... thought it was cute. :giggle:

I have a green and yellow guy... I've often said that he's mentally challenged. (I'm so bad!) :)

Edit: I need to add... I had a blue & white and HE was an Einstein. :D

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
That's in interesting hypothesis! I too had a bit of a giggle. :p

I'll have to let some of our experienced budgie breeders answer this one! I am quite positive that intelligence has nothing to do with feather colour, but we'll see what others say.... :rolleyes:

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Lol! thats so funny you say that because I have had budgies do the same thing:rolleyes: ... but color doesnt have anything to do with smarts. Each one has its own personality and quirks.

But the behavior you are describing is what just about all budgies do that are not kept with other birds... they have a strong instinct to interact and bond with eachother and when there is not another bird or a human to interact with when they feel social in there cage they turn to the next best thing... a seed dish, mirror, toy bird etc. They dont see this as a not so smart thing to do since its a inanimate object, they just see it as something thats always there for them when they feel the need to talk :)

If you get another bird though it might change his attentions to a more entertaining audience and they will talk to eachother instead =) I hope it goes well for you!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know. So my Charlie isn't the only slightly "cuckoo" budgie! Whew! Thank goodness for that!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. Charlie also talks to his seed dish. I just hope this won't have a negative affect on him, being kept alone for the last year. I mean, I talk to him, but I'm not exactly the same as something that has wings and a beak. He does love me though.

·
19,551 Posts
Lol. Charlie also talks to his seed dish. I just hope this won't have a negative affect on him, being kept alone for the last year. I mean, I talk to him, but I'm not exactly the same as something that has wings and a beak. He does love me though.
Yeah I know what you mean! I have never seen it effect them in a negitive way unless they are used for breeding or something, they dont tend to bond the same to there mate if they have been kept alone. Not that its impossible im sure but just harder id imagine.

But one thing that I really love about budgies especially when they are kept in groups is that they arent only friends with one bird or there mate. They preen eachother and talk to eachother and enjoy the company of almost all the budgies they are with. Your little guy can love you and his seed dish and his brocolli and be perfectly content :) They really want to look at the bright side of things hehe ;)

G

·
I've wanted to ask this question ever since I decided to get another budgie.
Does a budgie's colour series (blue or green) determine how intelligent they are?
I already have a budgie in the blue series (he's mauve) and he's a, how shall I say this? Doofus.
He talks to his seed bell, broccoli, perches etc.
I'm scared to get another blue series budgie, in case I end up with two "not so Einsteins". :D :D :D :D

Please help!
Kerriann, you make me chuckle too with this "Einsteins" question.

Budgies are flock birds. As long as they are healthy and well taken care of, every budgie is an 'Einstein'. They are full of mischief and demeanours that make them wonderful and adorable pets.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would Charlie bond with a male budgie the same as he would with a female? Or wouldn't two male budgies be as "cuddly" in the wild?

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
I would suggest you get another male.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
no it doesnt matter , that'll be like saying all blonds are air heads ( No offense intended ! im a blond , just an example ! :XD: ) and browns are not that smart , and reds are Smart. When really , its all about the person / animal and not their color

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am planning on getting a male, as I want to try hand-taming again! It's such an awesome feeling, having this little thing climb onto your finger for the first time!

No offense taken, as I'm a blond too!!!

·
19,551 Posts
Would Charlie bond with a male budgie the same as he would with a female? Or wouldn't two male budgies be as "cuddly" in the wild?
In the wild they would not bond to another male like a female, atleast nothing Ive read suggested.(obviously I have not went to australia and studied this though lol) This they only do this in captivity when they have few options.

But its funny because one of my DEC males didnt have a mate for a time and another male didnt like his mate I had for him, so instead he and DEC male that didnt have a mate at the time decided they liked eachother better than trying to compete for a girl lol. They acted just like a male and female. preening eachother and singing to eachother even feeding eachother it was crazy! And this was in a cage of lots of budgies so it wasnt like they had no choice.. but for some reason they just got along. Im sure your little guy would do the same thing when you get another bird as long as they are introduced carefully and such.:)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just glad that colour doesn't determine intelligence! I'm holding out more hope of getting a dominant blue pied than getting a dominant green pied. Charlie's mum was a recessive blue pied, and his sister was sky-blue.

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
Is that what we decided? Color doesn't determine intelligence? :laughing1:

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
Just kidding... more geared toward the blonde remark. :giggle:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.